Started up my big blue.

Creep

Ernst
Reaction score
Hi ive started up my tank on saturday, done some water tests on monday and my ammonia is already high. Got my first bit of brown stuff in my skimmercup this mornig.

But gee-wizz the Kenya LR I bought stench and now my whole house reeks. Any idea what to do? Im planning a 20% water change on sunday.

Will post some picks later the week.

Sounds like there was a lot of die-off on that rock and needs to be cured properly. Ensure good water flow around the liverock. You'll need to shake the rocks now and then and probably scrub them a bit as well, depending on dead/decaying tissue on it. You'll need to do regular water changes and run that skimmer ;)
Also siphone out all the detritus that might fall out the rocks. Don't run any lights during this period as you might get algae growing from the high nutrients.

I agree with Tobes and Anemone! Try and skim a bit wet during this period.

lets see some pics of the setup and the filtration !

I noticed last night white spots swimming around in my refugium what is this? I tought everyting will die because my nitrate is 2.0, nitrite is 2.0 and my ammonia is 0.1. Oh and is it a good thing or a bad thing my tank is cycling for 3 weeks.

But I need to move everyting in my sump inc DSB this weekend as my sump have 2 HUGE cracks and have made a thicker 10mm glass sump. Im going to use the same water, so are these white things going to die?

looking nice,but over what period of time did u stock this tank?
ur tank been running for only 6 weeks now?hope the bacteria population is good enough to keep up with this bioload

Yip no deaths at this time. Only a black Tang that did a disappearing act.
Tank size 1.8m x500mm x500mm
No the white spots are too small theres more in the refugium some of the fish ate the ones in the DT think its pods or something. From startup till now is about 4 months.
Will post a full tank shot.

Tank is looking good, Creep. 4 months is a wee bit quick for such stocking levels. Can you please post your water parameters for us?

What skimmer do you have running on this tank, Creep? Also how often do you do water changes?

Other than that - your tank is indeed looking really great so far.

Back
Top Bottom