Starfish not moving......

How will I know if it is dead when I take it out the tank? And when I take it out, should I keep I'm in water or simply remove it with my hands?
ugaqymet.jpg

Sorry bud don't have any experience with stare fish wish I could help

Last edited:
Sea star.

Ok it's not dead...... It moved a little, but does it really move so slow? I'm just afraid I'm doing something wrong.....
zu2y8unu.jpg

Hi, i bought exactly same starfish. Put in the tank, 2 day later i saw it at the back of tank. A week went by spot it behind a rock. Now vyf weeks no sign of the starfish. Hope some body can give us answersers,,maybe they don't like tanks and we don't have the food source they want.

That's good news bud all new additions to your tank take time to get use to your conditions and they won't act themselves fish crabs ect even corals:thumbup:

Last edited:
Well I hope that he is just chilling and not suffering.... Will keep checking, and @Dorry, hope someone would help us with these starfish, maybe there is just something that we are missing...... Thanks for the replies

Last edited by a moderator:
The leg in the second pic looks a bit deflated? Are you sure it's moving? Do you see any movement from the suckers on the underside of its legs? Starfish not the easiest things to keep and often require special feelings. They are also very sensitive to parameter changes so do need to be acclimatized very slowly.

Last edited:
Well it looked like it... The top leg changed direction, I can't see under the starfish, so I cant say anything about that, I acclimated it for a long time and was very patient when introducing it, I really hope it makes it......

That starfish does not look healthy at all. Tentacles retracted, deflated........ @459b, maybe just re read your 2 last sentences, not making sense at all

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, the one i bought where a big one, and wasn't even deflated, in my seahorses tank. only starfish, seahorses,and 2 cleaner shrimps. are these blue starfish difficult to keep or the same as all thee others.

Nope, starfish ain't difficult to keep,but...... They do much better in "dirty" tanks...... I suppose nowadays with the low nutrient systems, there would be a lot of creatures we will not see in display tanks anymore.
Starfish- dirty tanks (dirty in the sense of detritus etc)

Hi Sheldon - This starfish is very often sold in LFS's - BUT, 90% of them do die, unfortunately. I have had a few of these, with varying levels of success. As SeanK says - these starfish do a LOT better in aquariums that have a LOT of detritus lying in the aquarium. So - not really good to keep them in a coral tank....

You should try and place a small piece of fish very close to the starfish, or perhaps pink shrimp - and see if the starfish eats it. If it doesn't, then this starfish is on it's way out, unfortunately.

If it DOES eat - then you should target feed this starfish until it is healthy enough to move a lot faster through the aquarium.

any easy way to tell if something is dead in your tank is take it out and smell it - you will know right away it will smell off & then it's time to throw it away

A lesson for all.... These starfish never survive in our tanks, I knw more than 20people who tried with same result, starfish that's suitable are red ones and most of the deep sea species :thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom