Urgent help needed Sps tips look chalky then start to bleach

Reaction score
Tank was doing great until I had a heater malfunction which raised my temp from 80f to 96f in about 8 hrs while I was at work. I bought a new eheim jäger heater and temp has been stable since at 79f. The malfunction happen back beginning of November which led to all sps eventually bleaching and dying. I waited a few months before tryin any new sps coral and now it seems no matter what there tips bleach then slowly the coral totally ends up bleaching. My parameters have all been good and stable. I have an Orphek Atlantik led so all coral starts on my sandbed for light acclimation for a couple of weeks. Before having this heater malfunction any sps I put in thrived very well. I have 2 small tridacna clams that survived and are doing well and even growing which some local reefer finds strange that my clams are doing so well yet I can't keep sps coral anymore. I will attach a pic of the tip of a frag I recently acquired that tips look chalky which I believe may be the beginning of its demise. Please any advice as I miss having sticks. Sorry for such bad pic LEDs and iPhone camera without white balance makes for very blue saturated pics.

image.jpg

Most likely the cumulative effect of two or three of the following
LED lighting intensity
Low nutrients
High alkalinity

Phosphates are .02ppm I know a bit high changed gfo should be back to 0. Nitrates where 12ppm took bio pellets offline and started Nitra Guard bio cubes bomb method. My alk is stable at 8dhK. I have only had the frag for a couple of days and nothing in my tank that would pick on it. The tips didn't look this way when I bought the frag I noticed after putting in my tank. Could it be my LEDs? Possibly but that frag is on my sandbed 36" from the led pendant. It just really sucks cause when I set this tank up I had a bunch of sps frags and a few colonies all doing awesome new frags would encrust faster then I have seen in the past and start putting on new growth at the tips. I had a sapphire tips acro that in 2 months encrusted off of its frag plug and put on about 3/16" in new growth. Monti caps grew like weeds now I can't seem to keep any sps alive.jirst sps I have tried in a couple of months as I am hoping my tank matured a bit more and recovered from the heater raising the temp that high. I know my tank is under a year old being 7 1/2 months but I am seeing new coralline growth

I apologize I have read above. But if the intensity of my LEDs cooking sps coral how come none of my softies are affected by this? I am just trying to understand and rectify the problem. Before I had the heater mishap I never had an issue with any sps coral I introduced. I had even placed an orange setosa at the top of my rock work and it was growing great and now on my sandbed the intensity is too much? I also have colony of everlasting gobstoppers at the top on my tank and a small colony of pink panther zoas at the same depth from my LEDs that came from my neighbours tank who has a 55 gallon tank with only 4 36" t5's and these are thriving and I placed them in those spots right from his tank. I appreciate the help as I do want to solve the matter as I set this tank up knowing I want an sps dominant tank. This is why I went with the Orphek Atlantik. If there may be something I may not be testing for that may be causing this problem please suggest. I will put the Atlantik on its coral acclimation mode and see if this change things. I do have white egg crate over the top of my tank to help prevent jumpers from hardwood surfing.

Back
Top Bottom