SPS recipes?? whats your secret??

Reaction score
Hey guys

just a local thread about your secrets for Sps... i have a 60 x 60 cube that is SPS dominated..

I have tried a couple of diferent techniques to get some nice colour and growth on my sps...

I dose aquavitro 8.4 daily
Also add calcification
Seachem reef plus
Bw reef snow
Bw zooplankton
Tlf phyto and zoo
Bw lugols solution
Bw phosphate e
Seachem trace

All of these i dose about once a week on a different day.. would really like to buy a quad doser but the hand dosing is working at the moment..

I have quite good growth and colour on the sps but would like better...

So lets just have a friendly talk of your experience on sps..:yeahdude:

Easy, as a good friend said and wrote about, Alk: pick a value and stick to it! Once you master that everything else is easy
Stability in water quality and Params is what ALL CORALS, CLAMS AND FISH AND INVERTS NEED
@Adee

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had sone great success recently had to get rid of my montis by chisseling them off. They just got to big and were overgrowing my sticks

Alkalinity and its stability is key! If you have a CaRx then try use something like carib sea's aragonite media. It gives everything ca, alk, mg in a balanced form. I find dosers a bit fiddly. Not crazy on lugols there is a couple of articles on the net talking about its downside, rather use potasium iodide and only use it if you can test for it!!!! That also goes for other elements.

Hey guys

just a local thread about your secrets for Sps... i have a 60 x 60 cube that is SPS dominated..

I have tried a couple of diferent techniques to get some nice colour and growth on my sps...

I dose aquavitro 8.4 daily
Also add calcification
Seachem reef plus
Bw reef snow
Bw zooplankton
Tlf phyto and zoo
Bw lugols solution
Bw phosphate e
Seachem trace

All of these i dose about once a week on a different day.. would really like to buy a quad doser but the hand dosing is working at the moment..

I have quite good growth and colour on the sps but would like better...

So lets just have a friendly talk of your experience on sps..:yeahdude:

So many additives!!! How do you know that these are all necessary and are contributing to the results you get?

@albertterego im not sure what size tank u have.. but i have a small cube with over 15 pieces of sps... so in such a small system nutrients is pulled out of the water extremely fast.. so there i am adding back into the tank daily... most of the stuff that is dosed is food for the corals.. and food is good... ja i have a chart that i follow with what product i dose on what day... and to be honest i can garuntee u all of those additives play a important role .. my man u must go check on the forums from the states and overseas they probably add about 3 times the amount of additives that i add...

Although sps corals do need extra nutrients, vitamins & minerals... If you have to cut it to the most important steps, it would be:
1. Stable alk, cal & magn. (Max of 10% swing per week.) I test 2x a week.
2. Good lighting (min of 80 par)
3. Good flow (medium-strong intermittant is ideal)
4. Low "stable" nutrients (some people look at me like i'm crazy when i say stable nutrients, but if your nitrates/phosphates changes too rapidly due to (large waterchanges/biological removal/topping up with ro that contains nutrients) etc, your sps are prone to suffer from STN/RTN & browning... Sps corals acclimates itself to the specific nutrient levels it finds itself in & if it changes, the coral either starve or turn completely brown...)
5. Feeding sps on a regular basis (good quality coral food)

@Visser the CV is amazing Ive never seen polyp ext that good before on my sps. Dont know whats in there but the SPS seem to be loving it

Only been using it for a week now so cant say what the benefits are long term

@Visser the CV is amazing Ive never seen polyp ext that good before on my sps. Dont know whats in there but the SPS seem to be loving it

Only been using it for a week now so cant say what the benefits are long term

Cool, thanks! Will definitely give it a go!!!
Where do you buy it from @Toolboysa?

Yep, coral vitaliser, coral booster pohls exta and sponge power is a good combination...

The thing i like of zeo additives is that you see results in a couple hours after dosing. They very concentrated and dosing is by the drop...small bottles vut lasts longer then the competing products...

Back
Top Bottom