SPS polyps disappeared

. Tropical reef areas generally are warmer and do have marginally higher SG due to evaporation.
Apologies just re-read ...Need to clarify...warmer water less dense therefore lower SG. However the evaporation tends to be the dominant factor increasing SG which explains the higher calcium levels in ppm in these high energy surf areas.
Thanks sunburst, the DT is 550L I have two seio 1100 and one 1500, would that be enough water movement?
Not enough:(...A lot of emphasise must also be placed on the quality of flow. Chaotic turbulence is the ideal that should be aimed for. Dead spots should be avioded. (areas where detritus falls out and collects)

For the lighting I run a AM 2 x 250w MH 10000K (Tubes 25 months old) and 4x 54w T5s giesseman 15000K I think (all new). Althought the MHs are old i would not think that they would be that much of an issue because they're a bit of overkill already, but if anyone else thinks it may be the prob let me know.
Great lighting unit. I would change one halide. Yes your lighting can be seen as overkill, however,... if sps is your goal ...this is not the case. From some of my more recent experiences the quality of light has a profound effect on colour and growth of sps. As for the T5's they are not the primary light source and therefore IMO should rather be the one's that you neglect. Your corals will adapt to the primary light source making the T5s only useful for aesthetics only.

Thanks, want do you suggest for the flow?? An extra 1500 purhaps??

I've order a 14000K 250w bulb (no name brand) to replace the Aqualine 10000 which i think is a 13000K bulb from aqua medic. i thought if they are more than two years old they may only be working at about half the strength so they should be changed.

The increase in temp has definately helped. The polyps on all the sps are slowly reappearing probably half a mm out they were out about 5mm when i first got them. Even my shrooms look as if they are happier.

Trad, aim for atleast 40 times turn over.

oh dear, I was looking at the pumps and i've double counted all the pump L/hr ratings. It was actually only doing 25 times and hr, I added the other pump and recalculated the turnover based on my vol. and it now only at 42 times could probably add another two 1100 s to get it around 60 times.

I just dont know how those seios are so big and ugly dont know how to hide them and get good flow.

Propellors ( Sold as SEIO Prop)- Im sure the sponsors stock these. Wonderful pumps

1500 = 12000
1100 = 8800
1100 = 8800

Total : 29600 /580 = 51 times?

I could add the other 1500 i have in the cupboard to make to more than 60 times turn over what do you think. Very little settles at the bottom but some stuff does.

Trad the Seio 1100 pumps 4400 not 8800

It blows around a little (but settles over time). Also, placement is important. Im slowly getting rid of the substrate as I do want to go bare bottom. Then Im adding more pumps

Back
Top Bottom