Urgent help needed sps bleaching

whats your alk now?
with your alk being as low as 4dKH, i'm surprised that other LS did not show signs.
Just note on the iodine deficiency, its first noticeable on the coloration, especially first on plating monti's...they simply go very pale/dull in color and tips of other corals appear to have bleached looking tips.

excellent point/observation re iodine! kaching rep!!!

Sorry for the quick post i was on my mobile.

yellow corals have been known to have a green tinge to them when iodine is overdosed.

blue corals especially SPS corals have been known to look washed out when iodine is lacking.

Inverts. I use cleaner shrimps.when iodine is low you will find that shrimps struggle to shed easily they will also shed less often and in extreme cases can die.

I myself struggled with all my SPS colonies in the past due to lack of iodine in the tank. It started with a few colonies looking like there tips had been nibbled on or maybe a better way to explain was the tips looked powdery.

I found out later after hours of research that this was due to a lack of iodine in my system .

A few things to watch for when it comes to iodine depletion.

1) Macro algae (known to take large quantities of Iodine from the water column.
2) Carbon reactor/Filter( known to remove iodine)
2 Skimmers (Known to remove iodine)

SPS use iodine to maintain cellular function and when it is reduced they can have problems with nutrient transport which in turn leads to a decrease in protective pigmentation and viola powdery tips and faded colours.

Believe it not with systems with large amounts of Algae in the refugium or large scrubbers, iodine depletion has been documented has happening seasonally in mid to late summer. Just a half degree temp difference in your tank can send Macro algae into a overdrive due to seasonal growth.

Last edited:
Sorry for the quick post i was on my mobile.

yellow corals have been known to have a green tinge to them when iodine is overdosed.

blue corals especially SPS corals have been known to look washed out when iodine is lacking.

Inverts. I use cleaner shrimps.when iodine is low you will find that shrimps struggle to shed easily they will also shed less often and in extreme cases can die.

I myself struggled with all my SPS colonies in the past due to lack of iodine in the tank. It started with a few colonies looking like there tips had been nibbled on or maybe a better way to explain was the tips looked powdery.

I found out later after hours of research that this was due to a lack of iodine in my system .

A few things to watch for when it comes to iodine depletion.

1) Macro algae (known to take large quantities of Iodine from the water column.
2) Carbon reactor/Filter( known to remove iodine)
2 Skimmers (Known to remove iodine)

SPS use iodine to maintain cellular function and when it is reduced they can have problems with nutrient transport which in turn leads to a decrease in protective pigmentation and viola powdery tips and faded colours.

Believe it not with systems with large amounts of Algae in the refugium or large scrubbers, iodine depletion has been documented has happening seasonally in mid to late summer. Just a half degree temp difference in your tank can send Macro algae into a overdrive due to seasonal growth.

awesome info thanks

I think this might be my problem.

just keep an eye on it, my pocillapora sometimes do the same and 2 days later is fully extended again.. keep checking the ammonia and nitrate

So I am happy to report, The Pocillipora is recovering nicely! will take maybe 3 weeks to recover fully. Even the Green brids nest is looking stronger than ever!

Problem Iodine deficiency caused by red Marco algae which is taking off like wild fire in the tank. Thanks to submariner and adee :thumbup:

So next question, how do i control the macro red algae? :whistling:

coral is doing great

befor
07032011158.jpg

after

21032011251.jpg

Looking good

Back
Top Bottom