SPS Addicts

Turn powerheads onto csd devices and push seios against one another

CSD?

I have two of my Seios blowing at each other to create chaotic flow, also have them all running on the random setting on my AM wave. So the flow is very random in the tank

man there is so much to learn in here, i feel swamped at times:( please correct a simple summary i have on sps.

they are for more advanced reefs (primarily as the reefer has learnt to do propper husbandry and has stable parameters by then, more so than a newer system) or more correctly better for people with more experience.

high flow is important

high lighting important

start looking at calcium and mg levels assuming all else is good?

am I basically on the right track there?

would they work under t5's only (lighting being a quality factor) say 8 t5's and no halides, if you pay attention to placement and light penertration?

man there is so much to learn in here, i feel swamped at times:( please correct a simple summary i have on sps.

they are for more advanced reefs (primarily as the reefer has learnt to do propper husbandry and has stable parameters by then, more so than a newer system) or more correctly better for people with more experience.

high flow is important

high lighting important

start looking at calcium and mg levels assuming all else is good?

am I basically on the right track there?

would they work under t5's only (lighting being a quality factor) say 8 t5's and no halides, if you pay attention to placement and light penertration?

Crispin, you have mentioned the factors in the right order. Of importance that is. T5's could work, just look at Midasblenny1's tank.

Another factor is phosphate. High phosphate levels means your SPS won't colour up the way it can. And can possibly inhibit growth. Might be wrong on this.

More important than Ca and Mg is Alk, but yes you got the idea.

Pics with lights

52848023d634dafd.jpg

I have had loads of these snails (Vermetus sp.) in my system with their annoying webs. I find them a pita and the corals near them always seem to have slower growth compared to others without them. I usually end up sticking a toothpick into the tube and killing them.

I have had loads of these snails (Vermetus sp.) in my system with their annoying webs. I find them a pita and the corals near them always seem to have slower growth compared to others without them. I usually end up sticking a toothpick into the tube and killing them.

I agree, If it is going to limit the acro's growth then maybe time for a Kalk injection :(

Might be a bit too close to the coral for kalk Warr, be careful. I have never tried this but you might be able to pry him off the rock and put him somewhere else instead of killing him.

It would be easier to remove the acro, or try to break the liverock, you will shatter the vermetid snail's shell if you try to remove it.

ok so everyone wants to save the snail. i will see if i can break the rock

Hi Warr - as far as I understand, it is a way of creating a huge surge in your tank.
I have seen something like this at Ivan's house.
He has a 25 litre container, where the water is pumped from his tank to this container. The container sits a LOT higher than the tank. This happens with a power-head. The containers takes +-3 minutes to fill up, and once it reaches a certain level (the water), then the water is released back into the tank via a seperate pipe. This pipe creates a rush of a huge volume of water (all at once) into the tank, creating a huge surge where the water moves from one side of the tank, to the other side of the tank....

I once tried to hold my alkalinity above 9 but discovered that it just required to much work (monitoring). My calcium levels became unpredictable and erratic. I have since lowered my expectations and have discovered a happy medium around 7dKh.:)

Back
Top Bottom