Urgent help needed Something fishy?

What am I missing here? Also noticed fins are a bit shredded on one of my older PJ cardinals. I have noticed that my Bi color blenny is very territorial. Could he be messing with my other fish while im not looking? He is a dodgy little guy, always sneaking around the rocks. When I come to the tank he is wagging his tail and looking at me all googly eyed. The PJ cardinals sleep under a ledge, not too close to his den. Blenny is active at night when a house light is on. The PJ,s are half asleep.

maybe take some water to your LFS and have it re-tested there. One of your test could be old, outdated or simply incorrect, leading you down a false path. Second tests will either confirm your readings, or show that you need to replace your test kit or components thereof

I think Im going to try the LFS. And update this post tomorrow, when I have a better idea on my params.

Thanks! @RiaanP

Just hope I dont have another victim tomorrow:(

Last edited by a moderator:
hi, i dont think its params..

i did think of light fright, sounds better, but if the tank is getting sun before the lights then i wouldnt put it to that.

the 2 params if i had to choose would be temp and ph, at 27deg and higher we start to loose the dissolved oxygen and with lights out our CO2 production is higher which would lead to less O2, there are a few cheap ways to combat this, a small algae fuge on reverse light cycle or using kalk in your auto topup, or just dosing a weak kalk solution over night. the best option is a small algae fuge in your sump.

the 3rd possibility is a predator that is come of age and attacking and stressing the fish out.

the 4th is other fish, but i doubt there are killer bi-color blennies

Anybody got another idea of what could be going on? I tested tank for current with a multimeter and nothing.

How did you check current? Did you check for voltage?

i would suggest if you have not already...

1) Check if any AC voltage between the water and earth.
2) Check if any AC voltage between water and water. Test with probes 2-3cm apart and 20-30cm apart. Also test this where the fish normally swims.
3) Check both above with lights on and lights off.
4) Check Current draw as well in mA, both water to earth and water to water.

Try adding a grounding probe and see if there is any improvement.

Make sure that when you test for electricity that the light unit is in the position it normaly is. Dont lift the hood as the electrical current from the globes will move away from the water.

Last edited:
hi, i dont think its params.. i did think of light fright, sounds better, but if the tank is getting sun before the lights then i wouldnt put it to that. the 2 params if i had to choose would be temp and ph, at 27deg and higher we start to loose the dissolved oxygen and with lights out our CO2 production is higher which would lead to less O2, there are a few cheap ways to combat this, a small algae fuge on reverse light cycle or using kalk in your auto topup, or just dosing a weak kalk solution over night. the best option is a small algae fuge in your sump. the 3rd possibility is a predator that is come of age and attacking and stressing the fish out. the 4th is other fish, but i doubt there are killer bi-color blennies

Checked my tank carefully this morning! And the light is very dim in the tank. Cardinals are still half asleep. Bi color is awake and comes to the front of the tank. My first thought was something to with lights. Im gona test for crrent again as Keith has suggested.

Also I have just popped in at home to collect some water to test at lfs. I will update later. No more deaths so far. But, I must fix this!!

Tested at lfs.

Ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 0
kh 6
PH 7.8

So since monday Ive had three Ph readings, after lights on at 9am- tested at 9;30am PH 7.6, this afternoon at 1:30pm Ph 7.8, Last night I tested around 11:30pm, lights out at 8pm ph 8.4

Any ideas? Is this how ph gradually rises, or is it to slow? Im just gona test my RO quick!

get your KH to 8-9 and your pH will stay in the 8 range.
dont raise more than 1kdh per day

Tested RO at Ph 8.2, Tap water at ph 7, rain water Ph 7.4? Are these levels correct?

Tested RO at Ph 8.2, Tap water at ph 7, rain water Ph 7.4? Are these levels correct?
you should only be using RO so yes thats fine

Two of my cardinals are just hanging around in the rocks today. One of my originals, and one new one. They are breathing normal, and I dont see any kind of infection. Could my ph effect only certain fish in a tank? My other two cardinals are fine, Bi color blenny fine.

You cannot test RO water with any aquarium test kit. This is due to the ionic imbalance in RO water. So disregard all tests results of the RO water. It will leed you an false conclusion.

you should only be using RO so yes thats fine

Yes I only use RO water. Just tested others to check if my Ph test kit is still working:)

Can Ph effect healing of fins on fish?

I know I can google all of this stuff and make my own assumptions. So I really am grateful for all your help guys!

pH shift can cause pH burns. Normally first seen as redness on the gills and red blotches on skin and fins.

Last edited:
Can I use a pool test kit?

No. RO water and DI water has most irons removed by the RO membrane and DI resigns. This causes a iron imbalance in the water. Test kits rely on these irons for the accuracy and give incorrect readings. Even pH pens will give an incorrect reading.

Last edited:
No. RO water and DI water has most irons removed by the RO membrane and DI resigns. This causes a iron imbalance in the water. Test kits rely on these irons for the accuracy and give incorrect readings. Even ph pens will give an incorrect reading.

Ok Gotcha! :)

Ok!

I dont think I have an electrical problem.
I dont have any predators in tank. Fact!
I dont have a killer Blenny:)

Only things it could be is my Ph, water temp 27 or too much flow 3000l/h WM and 1000l/h power head in 600 x 350 x 600 DT? I can check the last two now.

I will let all know if I have had some success. If not I am going to be asking alot more questions:thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom