21174c0bd09090573.jpg

21174c0bd0bec7643.jpg

21174c0bd0d469d6d.jpg

21174c0bd0f11c78f.jpg

21174c0bd10b97ac5.jpg

tank with a reflection of my view!
21174c0bd1279ea1c.jpg

21174c0bd17ac47d4.jpg

I know i hav a bit of an algae problem, but im still learning to not overfeed :(

lovely looking nennie there:) and agreed there is a green tinge, but i fear the problem might be slightly more complex than mereley over feeding seeing the way the algae has a hold. try add some additional filtration, especially macro algae or an ats for nutrient export while also adding something like a fox face to feed off the growth. but over all tanks looking good:)

the rics seem a little bleached, are they new or have the lost color since you got them?

Nice pics, I was just looking at the nennie you spoke of earlier and seeing it in the tank like that makes e wonder - do you want some tank to go with your nennie??;) Or is it nennie to go with the tank...

It is a biggie but cool.

I rate you certainly need to get into a good dose of research on how to combat algae and once that is under controll it is going to be brilliant. For me personally, I found an ATS to work a charm - something worth considering and they are dead easy to make.

What filtration are you running? You have spoken about the tank and it's inabitants but not much on your filtration. Maybe a couple of heads together and we can help you get it sorted without much hassles.

Crispin - Nah, its just the colour that the shrooms are, its alot clearer when you see them in real life, a nice light peachy colour with some of the little tentacles being white but not bleached :p they grow like crazy when fed.

Peter - take a look at my sumpie, recently upgraded the lighting with a t5 4700K and a warm white enrgy saver 23W, do you think it might be my scaping? i think i will for once buy a phosphate test kit, dont mock me! more curious than catious remeber ;), skimmer is a ts1 and that 1st dsb is sand from yzerfontein, its finer than sugar sized grains :) and that bush is chaeto, i also recently set lights to alternate between day DT and sump during the night

What else could it possible be? could it be that im using a swembad pipe?
21174c0bdb71db80a.jpg
hat i

21174c0bdb98a1e15.jpg

It looks ok, just that there may be too much light. Hence the algae growth...Don't turns the lights down, just use them to light up an ATS too wich can run across your DSB and you will see a big difference in the system. When I say too much light, too much I think for just a DSB with Chaeto.

I could be way off on my judgement so I welcom correction by more experienced reefers.

can you explain to me exactly what a turf scrubber is, i know it grows turf algae rah rah rah but what will i need to contruct one?? and how??!

That DSB looks full of life !!!

Swimming pool pipe will not be a problem. Only issue might be a bit more noise due to the water running down in it.

What is in the comnpartment between DSB and skimmer. Another small DSB? Why extra light there? Do you turn your cheato over at least weekly? It helps.

The colour temperature of the T5 and CFL you use should be very close. I doubt if you do need both. Put a reflector over the T5, and see the difference. Just check out that the skimmer do not start growing algae inside because of the light. Not a problem, just looks jucky. Doubt if you need that 3rd light that clamps to the front.

DO you have detritus settlement around your skimmer? If yes, maybe move that LR pieces to the second small DSB. To improve the flow around the skimmer so that stuff stays suspended longer and your skimmer pump can take it in. If you can, just stack the LR pieces so that minimal points are on the sand. Or else suspend it on a piece of eggcrate.

looking good deadmeat!get urself a lawnmower blenny to help chow up the algae in the tank.

Thanks for the input guys! got the nennie from aqua concepts near century city and guess what i paid?? R120 is this a gd price?
as for the sump, you are correct riaan, its another dsb with the finest sand i have ever felt, finer than sugar, collected with permit from yzerfontain beach, voted one of the cleanest beaches in SA :thumbup: beautiful
Had the light there cus i was growin frags but realized thats not such a gd idea in the sump :p
Riaan - i am trying to get reflectors but im on a student budget lol and turning the chaeto over??!!! i never knew that! it is now thoroughly turned over thanks to ur advice :) i now just have the t5 and another warm white cfl
Thanks again!

Nice looking tank, with an even better view. ;)

Your chaeto ball looks pretty big, do you harvest it regularly? Once it starts to fill up the chamber you need to harvest it and remove at least half of it, that way you give it more space to grow and it then takes up more of the nutrients in the water.

Back
Top Bottom