Some arbitrary questions...

Reaction score
I was thinking about putting my tank in my bedroom, how noisy can I expect it to be?

I read in another post about an overflow pipe that reduces noise but cant remember the name. What is it and how effective is it?

Thanks, more questions to follow...:)

Gaboon, look up www.dursostandpipe.com

Can be done in a bedroom, but if you are a light sleeper I would advise against it.
Even the quietest tank has a bit of a gurgle or whirr that can wreck a marriage :D
But quite a few people have their tanks in their bedrooms.

OK if you enclose it in a cuboard you can soundproof it, basicly skimmer pump, return pump and overflow that accounts for the bulk of the noise.

The pipe is called a Durso standpipe

ask away:)

OK DR is faster than me, hehe:thumbup:

In a confined space, like a room i believe that the humidity would be a bigger issue. If you have an aircon in your room...huge bonus. Could mean that you do not need a chiller or fan....very noisy.

As for overall noise, you will never get away from it. Some of your newer manufactures use noise levels as part of there marketing strategy....

My house resonates like a tuning fork. I can stand outside the house, put my ear to the wall and the hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm is like a big diesel truck coming down Fields Hill. To try and minimise this hum i have placed tank, stand, sump, skimmer and chiller on closed cell foam.... It still hums merrily

Sunburst is very right, however, I have gotten so used my tanks noises:lol:

Back
Top Bottom