Snail ID

Reaction score
Riaan or anyone else snail id please, seems to eat algae but it has a shell and a siphon , Maybe your snail auntie can ID?

photo.JPG

photo.JPG

Last edited:
whelk like or it could be Strombidae. Even cone, but with pointed shell most likely not.

Does the side of the shell opening have a little wave or is it straight?
If "wave" and one eye sticks out there and the other at the front, then its strombidae and a detritus feeder. the back end that is rather sharp makes me think its strombidae, but it is not definite. The whelks, cones and strombidae have similar looking shells

I can ask her as well

@Achilles
where did you get it? did you buy new corals or rock ?
we do not have that many columbellidae species snails in South Africa. So most likely an import.

turbinaria reniformis corals
what is the size of the snail

btw, if columbellid, they are algae grazers. Beneficial hitchhikers.

ok, SnailLady answered me

its a Columbellidae, they have the little teeth structure on the inside of the lip, belongs to the Euplica group
'They are carnivorous or scavengers feeding on bivalves, worms or carrion. Some feed on green algae. As a group they are, therefore, omnivorous.'
Seems you need to keep an eye on them.

if the snail eats on the glass, then they are eating the algae and diatoms. Good news for snail and you.

Seems that is what the snail was doing when you took the first 2 pictures.

Ok thanks, good thing they in a quarantine tank
How many are there?
if they keep on the glass, then I want some as well. I'm in Cape Town until early Saturday morning.
Seems that they breed easily in a system.

Back
Top Bottom