Skimmers and their rating as of 2012

leslie hempel

Professional Aquarist
Reaction score
Guys i have seen alot of confusion wrt the newer skimmers coming into the market which have conservitive ratings and thus seem inadequate for a system when specifications are concerned,

Eg: a Vertex Alpha 170 is rated for 850lt but we know it can pull substansially more much vs a OCTX200 rated for around 900lt

I wonder how we could form a standard by which a skimmer can be rated, there is alot of speculation with very little fact to back it up.

I would assume the criteria to review woule be but not limited to:

• Operating depth (internal models)
  • Pump and airdraw capacity
  • sps rating vs softies rating (i like this measurement factor as it gives a greater scope for a skimmer for varying applications/budgets)
I dont want to get too scientific but im trying to simplyfy the whole skimmer purchase for newbies and advanced reefers alike,

It seems the rule of thumb of advising double the capacity skimmer in relation to your system capacity can make a skimmer purchase a seeminly nightmarish outlay amount to anyone in the market.

comments and participation welcome...

Last edited:
This is an interesting topic.

For a start, what was the science behind the conclusion drawn W.R.T the example above.
This is a very difficult conclusion to make IMHO.

Anyone ?

To compare two skimmers will also be difficult because of this specific reasons

Bio load
Water parameters
temperature

Even taking water from on source tank placing it in separate tanks for the skimmers to skim causes the whole heisenberg's uncertainty principle :tt2:

lol !

its an interesting question les and the advances in skimming these days is very worthwile keeping up to date with.

personally i look at the skimmers pump and compare that with regard to air pull and water through the skimmer as the way i choose various skimmers. i also take into acount construction and additional features such as bubble plates, cup attachment and cone construction, but as far as one skimmer vs anouther i try use measurable figures such as air flow and water flow.

its an interesting question les and the advances in skimming these days is very worthwile keeping up to date with.

personally i look at the skimmers pump and compare that with regard to air pull and water through the skimmer as the way i choose various skimmers. i also take into acount construction and additional features such as bubble plates, cup attachment and cone construction, but as far as one skimmer vs anouther i try use measurable figures such as air flow and water flow.

ok firstly let me say im not punting any brand or boosting ego's status of skimmer owners here :)

but i also look at pump power/airdraw its actually one of the main factors i consider. over bubble plates and cone/cylindrical design...

but thats the oldschool in me talking :)

here is a Question. what wouldd be the best skimmer for "Aquarium 600 Litre 1,5m x 0.6m x0.65m" with 200L external Sump?

here is a Question. what wouldd be the best skimmer for "Aquarium 600 Litre 1,5m x 0.6m x0.65m" with 200L external Sump?

@RFSwanepoel thats difficult to answer without knowing your intention for the system or its load...

with more info we can assit.

and to add that is part of what this thread is about, how to be able to suggest a skimmer :)

Last edited:
This is an interesting topic.

For a start, what was the science behind the conclusion drawn W.R.T the example above.
This is a very difficult conclusion to make IMHO.

Anyone ?

If you have seen the Vertex Alpha skimmers you will realise that its a easy conclusion to make, they are in a different league. :)

Last edited:
Another thing that is very important and unfortunately you will only know once you have used a particular skimmer is how easy it is to setup and find that perfect setting or sweet spot and lastly how long the skimmer can keep that perfect setting without having to be tweaked

Last edited:
@Leslie Hempel i think the best would be is to find some sort of bench mark and work/compare from there.

To give an EG. Lets look at a 1.4l engin sized car/bakkie. In nowadays the standard for a 1.4l is the Corsa bakkie. Its strong enough to pull a little trailer. Farely good fuel consumption and will do 160km/h with eaze!!

Then looking at the bottom end, take a look at the old school datsun 1400 bakkie. Not very strong(battles to pull an empty venter trailer) soso fuel consumption and maxed out it goes +- 140km/h.

Then on the top side look at these new Golf 1.4 TSI. They make a lot of power for a little 1.4 !!! Can cruise easely at 200km/h and pull a small trailer with ease.

The same goes for skimmers. Pricing/Performance/Rating

Now just to find a good mutually agreed upon benchmark:p

Last edited:
Can we not have something as simple as 2 ratings per Tank size...1 for Softies and other 1 for SPS with "value for money" and "top range" next to it...?

Softies ...........................................................SPS
EG: 100-200L....................................................100-200L
Skimmer "A" (value for money)..................... Skimmer "B" (top of the Range)

And then expand as I'm no expert on skimmers, so I wouldn't know what else is needed to consider...:blush:

Last edited:
good topic Les, but here is a link that also has a good explaination in laymans terms
Skimmer Design 101

Back
Top Bottom