skimmer recommendations

Reaction score
Hi there,

What skimmer would you recommend for my tank? (+-650l)

I was looking at Reef Octopus extreme 160-INT (900l) or the Reef Octopus ORCA 135-INT (900l)?

Are these litre ratings accurate?

Any other brands I should look out for?

Suggestions please :thumbup:

Those skimmers hould be just fine,but if u going to stock ur tank with a heavy bioload i will advise a skimmer rated for 1200 litres atleast.
Tell us more about ur system?DSB in ur sump etc etc

Those skimmers hould be just fine,but if u going to stock ur tank with a heavy bioload i will advise a skimmer rated for 1200 litres atleast.
Tell us more about ur system?DSB in ur sump etc etc

Thanks maj.

My system will have a 1000x500x350 sump, with the DSB being 500 x 500. As for the stocked tank, at the moment I would like to concentrate more on corals than fish, for now I would only have the 'necessary' fish in the tank ... but I am sure that will change over time!

what corals are you going to go for emteey if softies and LPS then you would be fine if SPS then go bigger, but then again u dont need a huge skimmer if u have other means of nutrient export

what corals are you going to go for emteey if softies and LPS then you would be fine if SPS then go bigger, but then again u dont need a huge skimmer if u have other means of nutrient export

Hey there ziyaadb, I was thinking of a mixture of all the corals. What would I need to have for nurient export? An ATS? What about cultivating alge in my DSB, I actually plan to make my DSB a refugium as well as a filtration system.

Hey there ziyaadb, I was thinking of a mixture of all the corals. What would I need to have for nurient export? An ATS? What about cultivating alge in my DSB, I actually plan to make my DSB a refugium as well as a filtration system.

ATS is a brilliant idea, Excellent in nutrient export if u can get it working correctly

Algea another great idea make sure u have string light and will work nicely

DSb and refugium in 1 is a common thing and should work.

with regular water changes and the above with the skimmer u should be all set. As long as you keep everything in check all will be fine :yeahdude:

i had a 500L tank heavily stocked with a 400L rated skimmer (orca 80 external, converted to internal)
of you go for the orca series you wont be disappointed. they are worth their weight in gold.

but as always, go for the biggest skimmer you can get for the system.

and get a quality skimmer, dont go cheap on skimmer.
its like building a super car but then equipping cardboard for the brakes.
just doesn't work.

on a side note, i had a massive DSB, used a huge area to grow cheato for nutrient export, and had loads of extra LR helping out in the sump to...

Back
Top Bottom