Skimmer pump

Reaction score
Hi all, I am in the process of acquiring a Reek Octopus DNW 200 with recirculation pump. The skimmer is rated at 1500 litres. Can anyone who might have one, comment on what the best feed pump would be for it? If I interpret it correctly, it should be 1,5 times the volume of my system. Should it not rather be rated in relation to my return pump? ie Attempt to skim about half of what flows through the sump. Any advice...

Thanks

Tim - if you can possibly plumb your system this way, try and rather use gravity feed directly from your tank's overflow downpipe, into the skimmer.... rather than using a feed pump.

Hi Jacques, thats is an idea I have considdered but not too seriously. I have two 40mm overflow outlets in the side pane which drop into the sump via flexible pool hoses. I can plumb one directly to the skimmer. In theory this would be 50% of my water going through the skimmer. I did not think of it seriously before but I think it's brilliant. I would like to drop the second overflow pipe into the sump through a bag type filter medium attached to the end of the pipe. This would catch all solids before it enters the sump. The material i'm looking for is similar to that of an industrial vacuum cleaner filter. It's a fine synthetic fabric which does not hold water at all, so the water falls through it very quickly and all the nasties are trapped. Has someone seen something like this or know of a product one could experiment with?

Tim - I have plumbed mine that way - and my water clarity is UNBELIEVABLE...... So, I would definitely suggest this type of thing. Just ensure that NO fish can go down these pipes - else they are guaranteed to be dead (they would not survive the pump impellers.)

Back
Top Bottom