Skimmer options

Reaction score
Hi all,

So my main tank will be a 420Ltr tank, and I'm still thinking but I will either have a 3ft (190Ltr) or a 4ft (250Ltr) as a sump for my marine tank.

My problem is that I only have about 50cm of height in the compartment where the sump + skimmer will be in. Given the size of the tank, I will more than likely be needing quite a big skimmer.

Can anyone recommend some in sump skimmer that will be adequately sized, but more importantly, that will fit with the height restrictions whilst still allowing relatively easy access in order to remove and clean the compartments?

500 is very low. Doubt you will get skimmer that goes in there. Tunze got one low design, maybe that will, but you need to keep the minimum water depth it needs in mind as well.

Can you fit a little cupboard next to the tank? Have a separate skimmer in another tank than overflows to you sump in there. So you can overcome head height restrictions. You can then go either internal skimmer, with a little tank it stands in in that cabinet. Or use an external skimmer, connected directly to your overflow standing in there.

Hi Andre,

Space is incredibly tight. The TS2 (500 high) would JUST fit in, but after almost an hour long conversation with the owner of my absolute faviourite pet shop (I should call them a fish shop rather), we came to the conclusion that it will be too much of a mission to remove the cup every day or two for cleaning. With effort, comes laziness. So rather than make things difficult (and in doing so, basically ensure that the cups won't be cleaned as often as they should) we opted for the shorter ones.

Already baught them and one is in my tank currently tuning it. The other still boxed and will go in once I get my propperly sized tanks. I had a bit of a hit and a miss initially but as my salinity levels started to raise, I can now see the skimmer working nicely.

On a side note, *bookmarks your URL*. I have a shop that I absolutely SWEAR by for my fresh water live stock, but their marine stock isn't at the levels I would like. I would definatley pop into your store at some stage to have a look arround ;)

ahh ok cool, I know there was 2 threads going on and I missed that you are already sorted. Great stuff, we are actually slowing down on LS now for the festive but do have some surprise shipments in the new year, sure we will stay in touch. Good luck with the painful cycle wait, some reefers call it old school. we don't :) Take it nice and slow your tanks not going anywhere quickly :)

Last edited:
nope, you need 485 to be able to remove the cup.

Yep. I have 500 space available. So a 450 Skimmer, and 485 to remove, is fine.

PS thanks to Stability and Prime... Salinity now sitting at 1025, Amonia 0, Nitrite 0, and Nitrate 0 too... I seem to be getting somewhere :) Will leave it for a week or two and see where we are with some more water tests over the next couple of days.

Skimmer was picking up piles of orangish water, but that has stopped now. No foam currently either.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom