Skimmer Function?

Vleis Visagie

Be good or be good at it
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

As a small few of you know, i bought a tank second hand with a skimmer & return pump (guy did tell me its cheapy skimmer & pump)

So i started cycling my tank this last Sunday & it seems my skimmer isn't working right ( i think).

The bubbles are really fine & does not create big bubbles that removes "gunk" from the water. Is it too early in my tank life for it to start removing "gunk" since there is no bio load at the moment & will only be adding a small piece of shrimp (dead) tonight to start the cycle, also will be adding 120ml of Special Blend to help the bacteria grow.

So basically my questions again -

1.) Will skimmer start skimming when there is gunk.
2.) Does is need better tuning
3.) YES i will be getting a better skimmer later on:lol:

Here are a few photos-

2016-07-05-PHOTO-00009781.jpg

2016-07-05-PHOTO-00009782.jpg

2016-07-05-PHOTO-00009784.jpg

Thanks guys

Last edited:
LOL!!! Check the Air intake on the Pump, check Tubing. You can also conect a Air pump to the intake and check the performance then.

Definitly not enough air. If the air intake pipe has a silencer at the end check that it is open. You can also check the pump that is on the skimmer that it is a proper skimmer pump with a venturi fitted (has a fitting at the front of the pump that has a connection for the air tube) and a decent impeller inside the pump. Maybe give us the name of the pump as we should be able to identify it quickly as a skimmer pump or not.

I agree with @Christo , looks like its not pulling enough air through the venture, or the pump could be faulty or the impellor is cracked causing it to turn slower...

Best you take the pump apart and check.

@mariusmeyer Yes the pump has a "venturi", where are some wool at the end of the pipe that looks a bit dirty, but i thought maybe that is how the previous owner tweaked the skimmer maybe. Ill clean it a bit tonight.

@Ridwaan, now that you mention the impeller. The pump cover doesn't screw on tightly onto the rest of the pump, think the "brackets" that interlock the to parts are damages. I thought since the pump is running it should be fine. (stupid me. my bad:whistling:)

Hey guys, just a update.

Skimmer seems to work fine now. Prob not 100%, but has started skimming & im getting darker water in the cup.

One of the pump housing thing are cracked, so will prob be replacing the pump,

How do I know what size pump will work on my skimmer, my pump doesn't show any thing on it?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom