Siting Tank next to a window?

Reaction score
Some moar n00b questions!

I was at Petmasters in Boksburg this weekend and picked up a nice little booklet by sera on marine aquaria.

The booklet claims that it is best to site your tank in a darkish spot that does not receive uni-directional light from one side (such as next to a window), since the fish will start swimming queer because their sense of "up" is affected.

How true is this? You guys that utilise natural sunlight on your tanks, how do you go about planning for the incidence angle of natural light, seeing as we're pretty far away from the equator?

Thanks!
Riaan

not a recorded issue yet...

the only issue from a window will be the heat from direct sunlight, but that can be fixed

yes, but nothing a few fans cant fix or a chiller
but sun will make them grow, just check Adee build thread

All my tanks have been next to windows.
The sunlight looks fantastic in the tank, and I think my corals like it.

Heat will be a issue, so you can close the blinds during peak sunlight hours.
Also look into fans or a chiller. During warm summer months I have a huge temp issue.
So I invested in a chiller.

Just goes to show - don't believe everything you read. Surprising that this info came from a respected brand name!

When I started in the late 70s it was even worse, the books were up to 25 years behind.

There was a lot of the process of trial and error, lots of both!

When you think about it, as the sun is rising or setting it is on a severe angle, if the book was right the ocean creatures early and late in the day would be acting really stupid,lol.

Back
Top Bottom