Simplest DIY Overflow

Reaction score
Simpliest DIY Overflow

This past few months i am planning to have a a sump under my 80gals FOWLR tank using my old 50gals glass tank (design to be modified) but i dont want my display tank to be drilled so im looking for the simpliest diy overflow that i myself could do at home. I saw this 2 videos of an overflow only using 3/4" (19mm) pvc water pipe in YOUTUBE.
i also drew its simple diagram for better understanding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofEHUJtsweY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2RrLbo-VuA&feature=related

Primary concern :

will siphon break during power outage?
whats size of the return pump needed?
can i over-size the pipe?

Last edited:
I really would not use pipe of less than 32mm.

I will go for 32mm or even 25mm.
Reason - the thicker the pipe and slower the flow. Any bubbles that do enter stays in there. They will accumalate and eventually stop the syphon. The thinner and the bubble tend to be moved along with the flow.

BUT

I will make it a double or tripple pipe system. If one stops, the other must still be able to handle the flow.

If you want to see SIMPLE and cheap, check mine on my temporary tank. About 30min to create. I build this before I came across the design as in your post. The outside pipe do have a durso standpipe in it. I got 7 tubes feeding water. I can loose 2 without problems. The outside pipe is as tall as the tank and the small feeder tubes must go as deep into it as possible.
109449650a74dd6cd.jpg

i supposed the bigger the down pipe the bigger capacity of return pump you needed, right?
suppose im using 25mm dia pipe, what capacity of return pump i should buy?

Hmm i'll post later on a simpler more reliable method that has not failed me for the last three years.posting from my phone right now.

This method will work, but I suggest that it will only handle relatively little water. ie. only a small uplift and flow through the system.

There shouldn't be a problem with electrical outages, but air buildup might happen quite fast and then your tank overflows.

I realy think that the simplest (while a little more labour intensive, but its not a huge tank, and onlt fish) in the long run is to drill in the corner and put one piece of glass across it.

You only need a clean bin to store the fish for 24 hours while the silicon dries. All fiteration can be inserted into the drum.

whoa Bob... im always watching you on tv. bob the builder..lol
as far as i wanted to drill the tank, no one want to service my tank to get drilled, they say, they dont want to take chances to an old glass because they could possibly break it upon drilling.

This past few months i am planning to have a a sump under my 80gals FOWLR tank using my old 50gals glass tank (design to be modified)

Good :thumbup:

but i dont want my display tank to be drilled so im looking for the simpliest diy overflow that i myself could do at home.

I've successfully run my first tank with a "siphon" overflow for some years, but know this: There are only two types of overflow-siphon tanks: those which have flooded the house, and those which are still going to flood the house...

Primary concern :

will siphon break during power outage?

Look closely at the diagram - when the power goes out, the water level in the tank will drop to the level of the intake. The water inside the pipe (internal and external) will still be sucked by the siphon until it drops to the level of the "T" joint on the outside of the tank, creating a vacuum in the section of pipe inside the tank. The depth of the "U" section inside the tank is thus critical, if this length is not long enough to contain the vacuum, air will enter the internal loop, and WILL break the siphon.

I will personally not gamble on this type of system, as there are much better designs available (although they DO require a bit more work in building).

We are currently battling to assist a fellow hobbyist to solve a siphon overflow problem in this thread - I posted two schematics and photos showing what is probably the best design currently known to the hobby - by all means have a look and if there are any questions then we can discuss them in this thread.

Hennie

The amount of flow the overflow will handle depends on you return pump. If your return pump push 2000L per hour back up, the overflow must be able to let 2000L water back. Also the return is under presure, and can be in a lesser diameter pipe. But the overflow is under gravity. Nothing forcing the water. Therefor the overflow pipe must be thicker to handle the flow rate.

Build it and test it with two water buckets OUTSIDE the house. Put one on a table, other with return pump on the ground. See if you can get a bucket for the top that is almost the same depth than you tank. Also test power out and if Syphon restart.

Now you got something to do this Saturday.

First, thank you for a quick response.
Be noted that my tank is just an 80gals FOWLR, i dont want to spend extra amount of money for the state of the art overflow thats why im looking for the simpliest overflow that i, myself could do and that will run properly. and take note..The design is not mine :), i just saw it in YOUTUBE and the way i see it, it looks running properly. I know that everyone's concern is the flooding when the siphon breaks. and thats also my biggest concern..Please give design that would only use water pipe regardless of the size.

Thank you in advance.

I tried this method. Its not fullproof. or maybe i did something wrong. rather have the tank drilled or purchase a reef octopus overflow box

I have been using this one for like 11mnths it works like a bomb!!!!
Siphon has not broken once....you can add a valve on the first bow and connect it to a power head to remove the air.
On a power cut the siphon doesn't break just slows down, but if you upscale the design it will start feeding again due to the volume of water going into the pipe.(The secret is the exhaust and valve!)
I use a 1500l/h return pump, this is only like a third of its capability i think..my maths sucks but it runs 20l of water out of my tank in just 2 - 3 seconds max.

This past few months i am planning to have a a sump under my 80gals FOWLR tank using my old 50gals glass tank (design to be modified) but i dont want my display tank to be drilled so im looking for the simpliest diy overflow that i myself could do at home. I saw this 2 videos of an overflow only using 3/4" (19mm) pvc water pipe in YOUTUBE.

I have been using this one for like 11mnths it works like a bomb!!!!

whoa this is a nice feedback:yeahdude:.. whats the common problem you encountered with this design so far? did you ever encountered flooding?

i think its a normal in all overflow regardless of the design. whats size of pipe you used for standpipe and return pipe? and the capacity of the return pump?

1500l/h return, i cant remember the diam of the tube...but it is bigger that the original design. It removes 20L of water in under 2 seconds...don't know if someone can work out the actual l/h from that.....i made a much longer overflow inlet about 35cm or so long... i will post pics later this pm.

Be noted that my tank is just an 80gals FOWLR, i dont want to spend extra amount of money for the state of the art overflow thats why im looking for the simpliest overflow that i, myself could do and that will run properly.

Both the first "Tupperware" version and the later Perspex version shown on the link I supplied above were DIY, built by myself - version 1 being made with only a sharp knife (to cut the hole in the Tupperware container...) and a hacksaw to cut the PVC pipe. Version two required the gluing of various pieces of Perspex, all pre-cut by the supplier - both thus quite simple...

You must decide how "simple" you want to go, and how "proper" you want it to run... (i.e. if the value of your fish is high, or the tank is located in an area where water overflow will cause serious damage, perhaps you should NOT look at the "simplest possible" version...)

Please give design that would only use water pipe regardless of the size.

The method shown by RiaanP :thumbup:

1500l/h return, i cant remember the diam of the tube...but it is bigger that the original design. It removes 20L of water in under 2 seconds...don't know if someone can work out the actual l/h from that.....i made a much longer overflow inlet about 35cm or so long... i will post pics later this pm.

Did you ever experience the accumulation of bubbles ( i dont know where it accumulates :))) that cause to siphon break?

Back
Top Bottom