Shocking

Reaction score
Hi there oom Hennie. Hein here from Welkom. Need some urgent help. Do u know anybody that can help me. I will pay there petrol money. On wed. i had some fish that have died and as i tride to get them out, i got a shock. Have switched everything off and got some new heaters. That was not the problem, got shocked again. So i got a elec. guy out. Got some new pumps and the shocking was gone. They have a machine to test for voltage and it was first on 70volts and now o. My plugs was also wrong and change that. So guys make sure the wires are correctly conected. Have another dead fish, and is that still the result off the shock. Got another frag tank and my anemone dont look good, so i want to transfer it to that tank and i got another shock. So that tanks also have to be fixed. I would like to have some guys to help me with the tanks, to c if everything is set-up correctly. Any help will be welcome.

Angelboy, I suggest you attend the BFN reefclub meetings. Give Hennie your number or mail me(PM if you don't have my addy anymore), I'm Wikus, we talked about corals quite some time ago.

Lol ;)

Have you considered switching things off when working in the tank?

Also wearing shoes helps...

That bit of equipment to measure the voltage costs like R70. Might be cheaper than getting an electrician out to measure. Also less painful measuring with a voltmeter than your finger... :(

Dagse Hein,

Need some urgent help. Do u know anybody that can help me. I will pay there petrol money. On wed. i had some fish that have died and as i tride to get them out, i got a shock. Have switched everything off and got some new heaters. That was not the problem, got shocked again. So i got a elec. guy out. Got some new pumps and the shocking was gone. They have a machine to test for voltage and it was first on 70volts and now o. My plugs was also wrong and change that. So guys make sure the wires are correctly conected. Have another dead fish, and is that still the result off the shock. Got another frag tank and my anemone dont look good, so i want to transfer it to that tank and i got another shock. So that tanks also have to be fixed. I would like to have some guys to help me with the tanks, to c if everything is set-up correctly. Any help will be welcome.

I would love to visit, but unfortunately this will only be possible next weekend, at the soonest - and that might be too late to save the fish and anemone. So, lets see if we can help via the Internet. :) It looks like you have two issues here: the electrical shocks, and the fish dying and anemone not looking good. Now, before I (or anyone else...) can really help, we need a lot of information about your tank.

Lets tackle the electricity first:
  • What pumps, lights, heaters etc. are you using? Heaters are normally double insulated, and don't have earth wires, but what about the pumps and lights?
  • Is the tank grounded at all?
  • What does the tank stand on, wood or metal?
  • Do you have carpets or anything else which could either insulate the tank from ground, or which could possibly generate static electricity (being winter, and the air in the Free State being very dry, and one can get quite a jolt from static...)
Now the fish, etc:

• How long have the tanks been set up?
  • What type of filtration do you have?
  • Tank sizes ?
  • Have you done water changes - using what type of water (RO?) and salt brand?
  • Have you tested the water - if so, please post test results
  • What lights do you have on the tanks?
  • How many of what brand of pumps do you have in the tanks?
  • Anything else you can think of that might help us to understand your set up?
It's unlikely that the fish have died from an electrical shock. If you can, do a water change or two during the next few days, and run a filter with activated carbon, just to remove any toxins which might have accumulated in the tanks. Apart from this, don't do anything drastic until we can figure out what the cause of the problems might be.

Hennie

i found that my sea urchin strips some of the plastic of my pumps wires. this might be your problem? just a thought.

Hi there guys. Thanks for your replies. Have change my active carbon and did a water change about 2 weeks ago. My salt are abid low on 1.02 and the rest are spot on. Use to get my water from my mother and now i have a reef master from waterboy. My pumps got some leak and that was the probleme. Got some new pumps but im not that keen on them. Will get the names of the pumps that i use to have in my tank and post the rest of the test results. My salt that i use are real ocean and i test it with a refractometer.

nitrates & nitrites - 0
PH -8.2
ALK-2.3milli
SALT-1.020
PO4-0.1
CA -550ppm
MG -1360
TEMP-23-24
Test water with Red Sea and my salt with refragtometer. My first setup i have run for about 10 months and i bought my new setup 8months ago. It have run at the guys place for about 5years. So in total the system is running for about 6years and 6months know.
The system
Tank 2000 x 600 x 600mm - 10mm glass.
Stand - 25mm square tubing - Powder Coated
Canopy. Lights separated from the 'saltwater elements' by glass. Three fans in the hood with extraction system to extract the warm moist air out the house. Helps prevent heat buildup in the room.
Lights. 2 x 150w MH (Venture). 6 x t8 actinics (1.2m). Two channel digital timer
Sump. 1200 x 450 x 400. DSB / refugium in centre compartment. Three heaters (I forget the wattages). Berlin Classic Skimmer with Eheim 1060 feeding it. King 5 return pump. Electronic auto top-up with high level sensor capability. DIY Kalkwasser reactor connected to auto top-up. Carbon "reactor" Aqua Medic. And some live rock. And a hang on skimmer.
I guess about close to 250kg of rock. A mixture of locally collected Sandstone, local live rock, ceramic fake rock and imported live rock.
External DSB with AM aragonite (+-200mm deep)
2 x Seio 1100's and 1 x Ocean Runner circulating in tank. 2 x SCWDs on return piping.
Live stock:
Have move all my 15 soft coral colonies and a few frags to my tank.
hermit crabs, 2 small banggai cardinals, 1 large banggai cardinal, large black urchin, 2 clowns 3 yellow tangs, 3 anemones, 2 honey stripe cardinals, 1 yellow tail blue damsel, 2 cleaner shrimps, 2 local pond starfish, 2 brown urchins and a goby( i dont know the name ).
If i left some info out, let me know. My kalkwasser with auto top-up dont run know and the level sensor. I full the sump up by the hand. And about every 2 weeks i mix some salt and 1's every month i add some calcuim.

Last edited:
Nice rig Angelboy. You have all the bits necessary for the ultimate reef.

Please start a tank thread with some pics. How old are your Venture bulbs?

Hi my actinics are 2 months old my one MH 1 year and the other one 3 days old. But the new one are a bid to yellow.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom