Shocking night

Reaction score
a very sad night for me!!
I decided to try run my new ts1 on my propagation setup so i plugged it in this afternoon and carried on with life and now iv just gone to turn my lights off and noticed all my fish sulking and mu clown ,yellow tang marine beta and clown dead whend i put my hand in the tank I got a hectic shock and the skimmer turned off ,so i removed the dead fish and removed the skimmer pump and turned it on to begreeted with another mother of a shock!!
what could be wrong with this pump? and can I fix it ? also will this stray current have affected my corals? thankfully my rays were in another tank so they are ok but iv very worried about my other fish corals and clams

any info would be great

regards

calvin

Sounds like water is getting into the pump, get it checked out properly, use a tester not your finger;)

Sorry for your bad luck, the pump should be the cause, it's motor seal sounds dodgy. Have you wired the unit without an earth wire ? It should have tripped earth leakage is connected.

noits a new set up so havnt got around to earthing it ,this is the first time iv ever used this pump does this happen often? I think its a resun king

yeah some times I get a tingle but this was a flat out mean shock mmade me squeel like a girl

sorry to hear buddy.i at times,get a mad shock,hair almost standing but never experienced fish looses that way.

it was wierd iv had stray current before but also never lost stock! I think space boy has though

i hope so il have to order a new pump from andrew as well
who knows maybe the fish just felt like dying today

Definitely a crack inside the body. Usually occurs close to the impellor. Not something ou can generally fix. Turf the pump and get a replacement. As to the fish dying, find it very strange, although a severe current continuously running in the tank and the current earthing (this is my understanding of what happens when you stick ur hand in tank) could kill fish. If your corals are still fine, great. I would also have some concerns with copper (but corals would die first) Just to be on the safe side, get some cupramine from liaquat to strip copper from the water.

Is it a King 3? The rear section was not epoxied properly and eventually have electrical and rust problems. Tap the rear with a key. If its hollow it will give problems in salt water.

Sorry to hear about the fish the died Calvin - I too had the experience with "shocking" when I touched the water in my tank before - was due to power-heads, and somehow, my NO T8 globes/fittings (not earthed)...... BUT, never lost any life-stock due to the shock...

Lately I've been getting quite big tingles so checked out all the equipment (cut finger in salt water test) and narrowed it down to one of my SEIOS. Still need to figure out which one as two of them are wired together.

Back
Top Bottom