Sheldon

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have wanted to set up a sytem that is easy to maintain so that my better half can do it while I'm away. (work overseas). After consulting and reading we bought a Jebo 800l tank from a pet shop in Pietermaritzburg for R12000.00 cash. The tank was delivered and all of us were excited. We built/assembled the stand and levelled it, then my wife and I with great effort and strength lifted the tank on. The problems then began. We could not get the tank level, we knew the stand was level so all kinds of theories we added. Perhaps the wieght of the tank was moving the stand etc etc. We forgot the time and now at 1Am after lifting the tank on and off the stand 4 or 5 times, temper tantrums by me and lots of coffee and camels, making up new and stonger shimms for the stand legs, we saw a slight flaw in the bottom brace of the tank.

We turned the tank onto its side and total horror, disgust and immence rage took over. My initial reaction was to fetch the 4 pound hammer from the tool room. We had just discovered that the bottom/base glass had been replaced and that the plastic bracing had been stuck/glued together.:nono:. We had been sold a second hand tank at a new tank price. My pride and joy show piece was now a thing of the past. Totally disgusted and PI... OFF we tried to get some sleep.

I spoke to the LPS and sent him pics of the repair job, he then come back to me a day later and said that Marltons were going to supply me with a new tank, stand and canopy but they could only supply the new one ine 3 months time. So the LPS said i could set the defective tank up in another area and get the system going sothat the filltration ext is good and established. When the new tank arrives we could transfer everything across and that Marltons would give us 2 weeks to do the transfer. We then did this and after levelling our tank as best as possible we started to fill with RO water. The next supprise happened, the tank had 7 pin sized chips. All stop and call the LPS. His advice, ' carry on' filling. We the added the live aragonite, salt extra. The LPS supplied me withn the following, 2 cannister fillters, 2500lph and 2000lph, Resun 15000 wave maker, 9 watt UV lamp and ViaAqua SK388NW in sump skimmer. Before the tank was delivered I had asked for the specs of the stand sothat I cold make a sump, the specs were wrong and I had to make another sump, wasted R400.00 on glass.

The LPS and I had discussed this set up sothat my marine tank wold be a sucsess and after me not feeling happy with all the proceeding I made futher inquiries. This led me to Chris at Northlands Pets in Durban, this guy knows the game. The Jebo tank would have worked for a year then the corals extra would start dying off because of no dedicated sump or marine filtration. We tried to gravity feed the sump but with Eskom's reliability we flooded the dinning room three times which made my wife very happy because I was away and she had to do the cleaning up. So we purchased a UPS (R2020.00 )to run the Resun 35 watt return pump, the pump ran dry because suction was lost and the pump burnt out. We were in Northlands Pets and Spoke to Wayne From Marltons, he informed me that they were only suppling a new tank and no stand. How would we transfer our entire Marine system to the new tank with no stand. Well, I don't know how I never burst a blood vessel, the whole experiance left me cold. We scrapped the marine tank. We are not sure who's offer it was but I wanted my cash back and the LPS said no way but will give us a credit for the tank price, I made and offer of R4000.00 and finally setteled at getting to keep the second hand tank with a R2500.00 credit. We now have Discus in the tank.

We never gave up on the Marine tank and now have a Jewej 400l system supplied and inslalled by Northlands Pets. I would like to express that I have submitted this to make members and prospective REEFERS aware of the money that can be wasted, not to mention the heart ache. Planning is paramount together with patience.

Last edited:
A very WARM WELCOME to MASA, Sheldon!

Many thanks for sharing your experiences. Sorry that you had so many bad one's. Unfortunately, one learns over time. You can never be 100% ready for anything, from the start.

Please post some pics of the tank, life-stock, hardware, lighting, internal flow pumps, etc?

Sorry to hear about all the hassles, definitely not cool!

Hope everything works out for you. There are a lot of experienced reefers in the Durbs area that i'm sure will help you out!

SHEES that horror story of note. stick with us and ask first masa has no incentive to give you bull sh**T advice we just like to help each other look after the live stock they have.

glad to hear you stuck with it though

i agree with you 100% but it is difficult to the right equipment as when you are doing so in the best interests of the client they tend to feel all you are trying to do is make money out of them..

i have often tried to give the correct advice and sell the correct equipment from day one only to be laughed at and people walk out thinking they can do better on their own..

They then go try do their own thing at the LFS and get ripped off.. some do come back but unfortunatley after they have felt the pain in their pockets..

im happy you finally found somone to help you, its a lovley hobby and really brings beauty to your home..

enjoy the site..

Eish not a great start to the hobby but I'm glad you've stuck it out and found a decent LFS.

Holy SmOkEs!! :eek:

I just can't believe what i just read!!

I'm glad that you came right,,, eventually ;)

People tht exploit newbies to the trade like that should be banned from ever selling anything ever again|!

Back
Top Bottom