Shane's Tank

ya a lot of people miss threads like this. its sad actually, if the owner doesn't have somethin to attract people you don't get replies. very sad. But this will be a stunner one day
Posted via Mobile Device
Hey there Bud - thats why we got people like you on the forum;) - to sometimes bump us into seeing potentially great tanks in the making:thumbup: - sorry I missed this thread as well but great going so far Shane:) Hows the GHA .... going or gone?

shane a few questions:

have you got a recent pic of the tank?
what are yuor lighting cycles?
what lighting are you using?
what are you feeding?
what corals do you presently have in the system?
what rock have you used in your system?
how frequently do you do water changes?
where do you collect your water from?
are you adding tap water for top up?

sorry im inquisitive and i want to help you beat the GHA.

comments;

that hawkfish is cool i have caught many but they are excellent shrimp eaters.. and can be fairly agressive.. i personally love hawkfish but i doubt i will keep that specific species again..

thanks chika:) les just to update for shane since they block masa at his work place, the hair algae has diminished heavily since these photos. the back was a bit of algae still but there isn't this crazy long stuff anymore. it was mostly due to bad rock in the system before shane got it. at the beginning of the next month we will be redoing it all with fresh nsw and removing a lot of wrong things with the tank so hopefully he can start again on good grounds
Posted via Mobile Device

thaks Stu..

shane my advice: take it slowly and do it right :) pack your rock the way you want fill and seed with LR..

keep your lighting down and keep your sump running..

id persoannly rather have 3kg of good rock than a tonne of base than pay hundreds of rands for LR.. patience will go a long way..

you in good hands there.. keep us updated..

thaks Stu..

shane my advice: take it slowly and do it right :) pack your rock the way you want fill and seed with LR..

keep your lighting down and keep your sump running..

id persoannly rather have 3kg of good rock than a tonne of base than pay hundreds of rands for LR.. patience will go a long way..

you in good hands there.. keep us updated..
Thanks les, ok maybe what i'll do is post what we are gonna do. From the old pics you should be able to see that black backing? it was put in the tank by the original owner and on the one side it bends into a round corner. there is dead space behind there and a lot of detritus all the way along the way between the black backing and the glass. So we will be removing that so there isnt that dead space problem and putting something in its place outside the tank. There is also a crate under that rock which will be removed and a different type of scaping will be done aswell. There was lava rock taken out of the tank which will be tossed, and i have cured LR in my sump to help re-seed with new bacteria as well as rock i had for the old 2m which i might need to recure.

So on the day, the rock will come out, be scrubbed to remove the short algae on it and try clean it up a bit, catch the fish out and sump them, clean out the sand and remove all water from the DT, the sand has a lot of nasties in it so losing what life in there is a small price to pay to remove all the gunk in it. It can always be reseeded. Then after all that is done the sand will go back in and the new scaping will be done and new NSW will be put in. The sump will be left alone for now so that some bacteria from the old DSB and in the water will be saved and hopefully help to reseed the new NSW which should already have bacteria in it. We'll get the water in the DT to the right temp and then slowly start mixing the DT and SUMP water so the fish dont get a shock, then when the water is mixed the same we'll move the fish over to the DT. There shouldnt be too much rubbish disturbed from the Sump to be pushed into the DT but i think that it would be minor in a DT of 1200 litres.

So thats the plan. during the process the damsels will be removed, but i think shane likes that hawk too much, i also said it would eat shrimp :p I've got a few corals for shane in my tank for when the tank has settled, easy leathers :) so its gonna be good to see the transformation, before and after pics :p

excellent mission you are on there very well planned.. but you forgot to have a couple of beers in the process :) actually red bull and vodka may be needed ot keep you going as this is not a quick thing..

scoob you the man dude..

Back
Top Bottom