sg of NSW at 1.030

Reaction score
Hay guys when I collected my NSW I found it to be at
1.030 I so I tested my tank and it was the same so I lowered it to 1.025 but was thinking would it be a problem keeping my tank at 1.030 as it would =less work during water changes what you guys think I found no problems with my live stock at both readings seem happy either way

Lets look at the bigger picture, we are trying to replicate the ocean conditions for our corals and fish, so my logic says that one can generalise and say that 1.025 is average or desirable, but it all depends on what your system needs.

Having said this, NSW off Africa is way different to that of where your typical livestock come from, so I think 1.030 sounds a bit high, but if you got only Seargent Majors, then they will cope better than say delicate species.

Yep may be coz it was high tide I don't know ??

From my understanding you may lose one or two corals..I read on a Thread..by having high salinity your corals will definatly salk. Depending on how long the salinity is high for, it will cause the Coral to bleach and eventually die...In a case of accidental high Salinity for a short period the fishes should be fine..can't say how it would affect them long term...my logic assumption would be that it would eventually be stressful on them and cause damage...surely to much salt will "eat" their flesh...?

I only got a refracto recently so that is how I picked it up so I don't know if the NSW on the west coast is normally this high only time will tell

SG at my side is also in that range at times , I just dilute it a bit with RO, as for long term effect my softies have shown now ill effects , but logic tells me it will have an negative effect on osmoregulation

Hay guys when I collected my NSW I found it to be at
1.030 I so I tested my tank and it was the same so I lowered it to 1.025 but was thinking would it be a problem keeping my tank at 1.030 as it would =less work during water changes what you guys think I found no problems with my live stock at both readings seem happy either way

I would calibrate the refractometer first before saying anything

The ther thing is where did you collect it? If it is washing in it will be fine but if it is a rock pool with evapouration it will be higher. at what temp did you test the nsw? Remember the sg decreases as you heat it up to put in your tank

The ther thing is where did you collect it? If it is washing in it will be fine but if it is a rock pool with evapouration it will be higher. at what temp did you test the nsw? Remember the sg decreases as you heat it up to put in your tank
well i collected at the beach not a rock pool and my tanks temp at that time when i picked it up was about 25-26 C Then i check my drums of nsw at room temp and it was the same as the tank 1.030

I dont want to be inpolite roderigo but did you check the temp of the water in the drum with a thermometer?

I collect NSW as well and when it's that high i rather leave it be until a next time...your fish can handle a high salinity level your corals is not as forgiving..i would rather refrain from adding it..with evaporation and everything else like heat..your salinity might just creep higher..and as mentioned above..our reef like tank simulates another part of the ocean altogether together with fish corals and inverts...;)

I agree - check refractometer - its rather unsusual for NSW to be so high

Not sure about levels on your side but my refracto is calibrated on a regular basis (monthly) , has ATC and we have SG levels in that range at times.

I collect my water washing in in a HUGE semi open rockpool....

Not sure why it is just sometimes but yes it does happen guys

Guys i just checked, nsw in atlantic is anything between 1.030 and 1.036 depending where you are

Back
Top Bottom