Seneye is here

So I did a proper PAR test last night. The Seneye's light sensor obviously doesn't work so great when it's stuck against the glass. I used a little frag rack I made ages ago to mount it at the bottom of the tank. I got a PAR of 250 from the LEDs and 2 x 2ft T5 Actinics.

Problem is I don't know if that is good or bad. I have to do a bit more research I think :)

PAR of 250
at the bottom of the tank is OK
anything from 200 and up.
Well obviously depending on what corals you want to keep lower down.

@rakabos, hahahahaha :p

@RiaanP, do you say OK as in "kinda ok but not really", or OK as in "that's thumbs up amazing"? I'll do some reading today and see what I can glean. Oh the tank is 600 deep if that changes anything?

Last edited by a moderator:
some where out there on the internet was an article with the PAR readings needed by different corals, and the placement needed for that corals.

And at least 200 is needed for the softies that should be low down. So yes 250 is good.

Thanks @RiaanP

Here's a few links i've found and tbh i'm pretty chuffed with my LEDs, I knew they were pretty potent but if I go with this guys measurements and depths (my tank is 24 inches give or take) then they can be compared to a 400w MH. At a thumb suck I guessed that each 36w unit was equivalent to about a 150w MH so it seems I was pretty close :)

Melevsreef.com - PAR Measurements Taken

Here's a video of the original build :)

According to Seneye.me at my evening peak it was 250 PAR with a LUX value of 8379 at a depth of 55 - 60cm.

Would be interesting to see the values just under the surface and in the middle of the tank.

Agreed, but trying to figure out how to get those readings is another story :p I'll work it out :)

An interesting thing, @mariusmeyer you mentioned that murkiness may effect the readings. Last night just before lights went out I dumped in some Coral Snow (basically turns your tank into milk) and the par reading went up by 1. So yes it does effect it but its negligible imo.

Cant you just hold the device with your hand and get the readings? Or does it have to be in the same spot for a while to get the reading? Otherwise I would say connect it to the netbook, put the screen where you can see it and then hold the unit and take the readings.

Cant you just hold the device with your hand and get the readings? Or does it have to be in the same spot for a while to get the reading? Otherwise I would say connect it to the netbook, put the screen where you can see it and then hold the unit and take the readings.

Yes you can do it this way its how i have been taking readings

you literally hold the unit where you want to take the reading and it as a save function for you to lock a specific reading .

You can then name the reading eg Blue Acro

Lol, have you taken a look at my light hood? Sure I can put my hand in the tank, but since I need to lift my hood that the lights are attached to do it, I forsee a problem. The lid needs to be closed in order for the light measurements to be effective, which is pretty much impossible with my arm in the way :D

Basically I need some sort of L base that I can attach to the glass of the tank with suction cups. Its fine I have an idea that im sure will work :)

Last edited:
Looking forward to the Digi-strip thingy. :) Let us know if you get any details on this please Nathan. Cant see anything on their website. Hopefully it will be as well priced as the base unit.

Back
Top Bottom