Seekng advice on sale gone "south"

Geez dude, some ous have no scrupels about them, dont worry the pump you getting from me is all you think and more :p
Don't worry bud ... I know how you are about this hobby when you were quite thorough in finding out how your "pet" was going to be transported:p BTW thinking of moving him to the 2.5M now .... lots more swimming space as he is growing and getting more handsome by the day .... BTW almost closed on one more resun ..... now I'll have 6:yeahdude:

Chiks,
was there any pics for the ad?

Imo, if he does not make the deal as it should be, or refund you all your money and postage for wasting your time, you should name and shame, otherwise one of us other reefers will be caught, and this person should be made aware of to everyone else. On the otherhand I presume with what this person is selling, they are obviously packing up and don't care about the forum, but at least there is I am sure a few lawyers on here willing to help, it's not so much about the money, more about the principle.

PM sent and a chance given to redeem himself ... will take it from there bud .... Yes they are packing it up ..... they in the law industry themselves so knows the consequences .... just I think was something that went wrong ... just for my dear life figure out what and why ... Don't worry MASA members ..... this thread will open eyes and if no joy will make everyone aware of end results .... I believe everything happens for a reason but if I cant find his reasoning to be valid then I need to expose them ... Like it or Lump it!

Last edited:
i have had simular delaings with as unsavoury endings, i bought a hailide unit with new spare bulbs supposedly accompainying the unit to fnd that they never included when the parcel arrived, i bought a skimmer the other day to find out parts on the pump were broken and i bought 2 tunze pumps 3 weeks ago to have the transformer burn out because it had water in it.. my list is endless..

all i can say is i ask of the people selling goods to take proper pictures of every item.. point out the faults of the unit so that an informed purchase can be made and just remember how you would feel if something like this happened to you...

i hope the seller at least feels a little remorse, chika if you feel you are happy with the items supplied and the price paid then keep them but if you are not (hence this thread) i would suggest a percentage reimbursment be in order..

good luck.. i wish you all the best and that Karma will come into play...

The irony of this arrangement is that I'm still oweing R300 for the shipping of the R/O unit (the other stuff I will pay myself when I collect tomorrow from Timefreight) so being a fair person and wanting to sleep peacefully at night was just looking for some closure knowing whether I'm being too petty or not and for the fellow reefer to come to the party and not do this to anyone else as some people here might not be so understanding and it can get blown out of proportion .... mind your'll I'm still waiting for some kind of response ... either here or PM or my cell ..... niks, nada, nutting!

Chika did you check the box for a tub of vaseline, coss you got shafted boet. Always demand photos of all the items and make sure you have the agreement in writing.

Best of luck and I hope you get some sort of response from your pm's. You've given them time to respond here on a open forum. If they don't and seeing as they are packing up, I think a name and shame is in order.

Chika did you check the box for a tub of vaseline, coss you got shafted boet. Always demand photos of all the items and make sure you have the agreement in writing.

Best of luck and I hope you get some sort of response from your pm's. You've given them time to respond here on a open forum. If they don't and seeing as they are packing up, I think a name and shame is in order.
I'm thinking by tomorrow this time we can start to make other reefers aware .... trying to resolve this as amicably as possible .....

Hi Chicka, I went through the same last week, only difference is that there were some pics included and when we unpacked saw that lots of the stuff not included and the RO unit that we were suppose to recieve doesnt even look te same. The RO unit had to be a waterboy and now its a random one... Any way this was a full system sale, but did not even recieve the timers, multiplugs etc that was said to come with it... I have bought almost all my stuff from fellow reefers, but now i am starting to think what will happen if i buy stuff and it doesnt get shipped or whatever? What can a person do to people doing things like this?

Depends on the person buddy .... I have already a few calls from fellow reefers that have become more than just members of the club and said if it was them they definately would dish out some @swhipping but I'm not a confrontational person by nature and would prefer to solve this as simply as possible but definately hold my grounds when it comes to right and wrong and if name and shame is the route then I'm afraid that's the way it must be .... I'll be generous and give it 1 more day ..... will take it from there .....

I guess this is a trusting site... But there is always a risk of forking out cash for 2nd hand goods when you cannot inspect the stuff yourself with your own 2 eyes. It's a risk that 99% take at one time or another. I am waiting for a skimmer to arrive, and I am having the nerves going haywire just waiting till tomorrow... The cash has been paid, so it's a tough situation. But most of us are honest, it's just the 1 or 2 bad eggs that spoil these transactions...

Honestly Chika, If I was you, I'd send the stuff back and demand my cash back. Or at least demand some sort of recourse... I know it's a risk we take, but maybe the admins should get involved at some point or another? Also maybe starting a thread of trusted sellers of goods, so people know who to deal with and who to avoid? I know it's a mission policing these forums, but it may provide some sense of security for the members who really want to buy and sell goods?

When I first joined I asked the relevent sellers to plz post how the transaction went in the for sale section ... There was a place where we could rate the buyers, sellers reputation but have not checked on it in a while ... On my other sites we can even report to admins and mods and get people traced by the I.P addresses and have them blacklisted so we dont have to deal with them anymore ..... Maybe something to look at or even the thread idea of trusted buyers and sellers is a great idea as you can always be adding or editing our posts and updating .....

its difficult, people leaving the hobby dont really care about the future.. i have seen this a few times before since i strated frequenting forums in 2006..

be reputable, its the reason i use my name and not an alias..

yes things have gone wrong with sales i have conducted and participated in but there also needs to be reason from both parties to find a common ground..

at least send what you say you are going to send.. that surely cant be that difficult.. He knew what the item was when it was listed for sale or described dident he/she?
Sales will always be a vauge area when dealing over a distance..

well guys i have been making deals with a few people on this site and have been nothing less than impressed with everyone ive dealt with. i bought tunze magnets from singularity and promised to pay the money in the afternoon and even before i had paid the money he had sent the items. thats the trust we as a site have with each other, and then people come and mess it up.

cant we add something in the terms and conditions of the for sale thread that if you mess someone around you accept full responsibility for your actions and will reimburse in full

well guys i have been making deals with a few people on this site and have been nothing less than impressed with everyone ive dealt with. i bought tunze magnets from singularity and promised to pay the money in the afternoon and even before i had paid the money he had sent the items. thats the trust we as a site have with each other, and then people come and mess it up.

cant we add something in the terms and conditions of the for sale thread that if you mess someone around you accept full responsibility for your actions and will reimburse in full

enforcing it is the problem.. but a good idea.. the forum pretty much has done all it can in terms of stipulating a certain number of posts/ member ratings etc for seller and purchaser to get to know one another..

i dont think things will ever be a 100% in this area, as it needs both parties to be of an honest nature.

I have been in contact with the reefer and he is sorry for happened and offered as compensation that I dont reimburse him the R300 that he has paid for the R/O unit to be posted to me .... But we both have agreed that the final proof of the pudding will be tomorrow morning when I collect the balance of the equipment ..... then will be the conclusion .... In the mean time I hope this thread has opened alot of reefers eyes and I hope that in future such dealings dont happen as really my understanding of me being part of a forum is to be helped in whatever way is possible for fellow members to help BUT when things turn sour like this its just not on .... I'm in the security industry for many moons where trust is of the highest priority and maybe coz I don't do it to my customers then I expect the same .... How can we trust one another when this happens to so many people (from previous posts) If something is not in 100% condition ... just say so ... the oweness is then on the person buying to decide if he can close the deal for something "as is" or "voetstoets" or he'd rather pull out.....

Hi Chicka, I went through the same last week, only difference is that there were some pics included and when we unpacked saw that lots of the stuff not included and the RO unit that we were suppose to recieve doesnt even look te same. The RO unit had to be a waterboy and now its a random one... Any way this was a full system sale, but did not even recieve the timers, multiplugs etc that was said to come with it... I have bought almost all my stuff from fellow reefers, but now i am starting to think what will happen if i buy stuff and it doesnt get shipped or whatever? What can a person do to people doing things like this?

Dude as i mentioned before i was not involved in that sale at all. I am sure i stated that in the thread.

My question is that you should have been there to have seen what was been collected for the money paid as i am thinking that you sent someone to pick up the stuff for you?

from my side i am really sorry if you did not get what you paid for but you should have canceled the sale there and then if you were not getting what you paid for

Dude as i mentioned before i was not involved in that sale at all. I am sure i stated that in the thread.

My question is that you should have been there to have seen what was been collected for the money paid as i am thinking that you sent someone to pick up the stuff for you?

from my side i am really sorry if you did not get what you paid for but you should have canceled the sale there and then if you were not getting what you paid for
This is one of the reasons why we do not allow members to sell on behalf of someone else. Unfortunately we did not pick up this, if we had your thread would have been deleted. Admittedly we have allowed one or two threads to slip by with people selling on behalf of someone else but it would appear we need to be strict in this regard again.

A reminder to everyone - Please read the For Sale Rules before buying and selling anything on the forum, safeguard yourselves as much as you can, demand photo's of ALL equipment and livestock, DO NOT conduct sales via PM, it's too risky, PM's can be deleted and stories can be changed and we have no way to access or recover PM's, whereas if your sales are conducted on the open forum then we have full access to all posts, even if they are edited, it at least gives you guys something to go on should you wish to take matters further, legally or otherwise; via PM we can not help you.

All said above is very true Dean but lets put it this way .... As I said before I have with this reefer on 2 occassions before and had no reason to believe we would end up like this so bite me all if your'll will but because of my past 2 sales with this reefer had these items been advertised in the for sale thread I would have been calling dibs on it ... just because of our past deals but I hear what you saying and will take extra precautions in future .... Remember all this was a learning experience for us all and I'm doing my part to create awareness of what can go wrong ... And if if think thats what being part of a forum is .... where we sometimes learn from others mistakes .... Just that we supposed to mainly helping each other out with maintaining our hobbies, sometimes we get other "lessons" .... Lets see the final cherry ontop this cake tomorrow when I collect the balance of stuff

Back
Top Bottom