Scats eat aiptasia?!

Reaction score
Hey guys.. I was reading an article about controlling aiptasia.. and came across this :

Brackish Water Fish:
Scats in the genus Scatophagidae are brackish water fish that will readily consume Aiptasia Anemones as part of a varied diet.

Spotted Scat Scatophagus argus are quite hardy and can be acclimated successfully to both fresh water and saltwater aquariums.

Has anyone tried this? Also, do they pick on corals? I need some aiptasia control!

they said it has venomous spines but its a mild venom that will just hurt if you touch it

oh yes and scats dont look very marine like hence 1 of the reasons i have never seen them in a marine tank

yeah they dont look nice.. but heck if they eat aiptasia then what the heck :) .. From the write up they seem pretty good at eating aiptasia.. but will they eat corals and mini nennies also?

When I had Briopsis problems I did a lot of reading, and I found very good info about freshwater Mollies eating Briopsis. The Mollies was fine in the Saltwater, didn't like the flow though, and didn't eat Briopsis.

Seems to me that a lot of this kind of remedies is more luck than anything else!

When I had Briopsis problems I did a lot of reading, and I found very good info about freshwater Mollies eating Briopsis. The Mollies was fine in the Saltwater, didn't like the flow though, and didn't eat Briopsis.

Seems to me that a lot of this kind of remedies is more luck than anything else!
Where did you find this info from? If that's the case then I go buy some mollies today & see what happens. Please post the link to this info?

Thanks Michael

Hey guys.. I was reading an article about controlling aiptasia.. and came across this :

Brackish Water Fish:
Scats in the genus Scatophagidae are brackish water fish that will readily consume Aiptasia Anemones as part of a varied diet.

Spotted Scat Scatophagus argus are quite hardy and can be acclimated successfully to both fresh water and saltwater aquariums.

Has anyone tried this? Also, do they pick on corals? I need some aiptasia control!

Not the first time I have heard this, but don't think thy will be reef safe

I agree Hermanus, if something eats aiptasia then it will be hit and miss of it will eat corals as well.. Need to find an aiptasia eating CBB, but thats not so easy.. Doesnt anyone want to try a scat? :whistling:

Where did you find this info from? If that's the case then I go buy some mollies today & see what happens. Please post the link to this info?

Thanks Michael

I really cant remember where I found it, did research on Briopsis for almost a year, nothing worked!

Just google "briopsis algae control Mollies" and you'll find it. There was quite a few threads about it as well!

I was concerned that peppermint shrimp may attack my mini nennies?

I am taking Shawn's ( Achilles ) advice and getting a conspic angel for aiptasia control
:whistling:

Back
Top Bottom