[wtd] Sargent majors or any unwanted fish

Status
Not open for further replies.
good idea, look guys I didn't promote killing fish or anything of that sort. I was trying to see the point of view from another reefer. If he wants to add something which he thinks will speed it up its his choice. I for one think it will work depending if the tank is already past stage one and halfway through stage 2. I added fish on my first day and haven't lost a single fish.there is risks in everything in this hobby. for all you know your tank might crash tonight.

Look guys. I did say it was a controversial topic and may seem harsh to some. Fact of the matter is that it is harsh yes. But certain things in the wild and in our lives are harsh. There are probably a gazillion damsels which are unwanted fish in an aquarium but serve a purpose in the ecosystem of the wild. I am giving a personal opinion here and will not argue with anyone who does not share my view. I respect all. But honestly, I feel that fish in an aquarium are less healthy than fish in the ocean. Reason is that they face a form of depression by not being 'home', this impacts on the health of the fish. So if anyone is so concerned about the health of a fish, then please close ur tank down and let all fish be in their natural environment ie. The ocean. We do this as a hobby, we all live our animals, the cycle of life has to continue.

Keeping anything in captivity means we need to give it the best environment we can, there's a law written somewhere that uses bigger words...so knowingly putting a fish in conditions which are to the detriment of that animal amounts to cruelty. What happnes to the billions of fish in the wild is of absolutely no relevnce to how we keep fish in our tank.
With the advances in additives, testing, equipment, etc, placing a fish in harsh conditions is really not necessary. Try all you may to legitimize what you doing, but at the end of the day it is cruelty.

With all due respect. I did say I will not argue this topic. I merely gave my opinion with an explanation. If u feel otherwise, then that's that. I respect u still. Conclusion is that I might be a bit more harsh in my approach. We all not the same at the end of the day. It's what makes life exciting ;)

Such a pathetic attempt to legitmise your old and cruel way of thinking. You really should do some research into this hobby as it has come a long way. Techniques for cycling a tank have changed and improved. Taking unwanted fish and subjecting them to such an experience is cruel. How this has anything to do with the cycle of life is beyond me?? You built the tank you are responsible for the lives in it and when I say responsible I mean giving them the best possible treatment and care. Try researching that too. As for anyone giving unwanted fish away knowing what they are to be subjected is pretty thoughtless and cruel. You should have researched the fish before buying it... Clearly you are on Acid.

Lol. Guys, why the insults? I'm not saying it's not cruel. It is. I agree and respect how u guys feel. Apologies gentlemen.

I would also rather test a new system with "cheap" fish. We all tell guys to take it slow. Start from the bottom up and build up to what you want.

Yet now here we say go ahead, its better to start this system with a R1000 fish. Start expensive. Aim high, fail harder.

@aquatas at almost a thousand posts, joined MASA on 14-09-2011 is not a newbie around keeping marines. After all he already did say the tank been cycled.
I have already added special blend, clarity, stability and prime in the tank and its already been cycled.
Doubt there would be any ammonia levels to be of any harm to any fish. So to all the guys nailing Acid and Aquatas about adding fish into ammonia environment, please back down.

Last edited:
After all he already did say the tank been cycled.

So how can a tank be cycled without an initial ammonia source? Adding bacteria out of a bottle alone does not mean a tank is cycled. Maybe the original poster needs to be clearer on the process he followed to cycle his tank.

The best and most effective way to is to add a pure ammonia source such as scrubbs ammonia. This way you dont have to wait a few days for stuff to decay and create ammonia. it is there immediatly and the bacteria already in the system can get to work breaking it down.

RiaanP nails it. And btw I think if anyone starts attacking a fellow reefer on a personal level that the attacker should be removed from Masa regardless of the argument

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom