Urgent help needed Sarcophyton virus

Reaction score
My Leather (sarcophyton, yellow, looks like pincushion) got some kind of disease, virus thing, thats making it on the one side vrot, and it is spreading to the rest of that coral, what do i do, i am busy posting pic.

49604f7498ff3ece2.jpg

Pic is a little unclear.
Is it not maybe shedding?
If it is diseased and spreading, then frag off the dead bits.

Can't tell 100% from the pic but it sure does look quite bad, as 459b said, you can simply cut off the dead bits, the coral will heal itself if it is otherwise healthy. Is it not being stung by another coral close by? Like a frogspawn or torch coral?

Just cut off the decaying part, leave none of the disease left and it should be fine. It shoudl revive itself, they are pretty hardy!

im following this one cos when it starts rotting or falling apart from one side it is not like an sps that you can frag. if it is sick the whole animal is sick. it needs to heal before being fragged. i would put it in a quaranteen bucket with a high watrr flow and do regular water changes to prevent bacteria levels climbing too much. i would also p ut a drop of lugols or similar iodine in water.PLEASE READ FURTHER ON IN MY NEXT POST

Last edited:
im following this one cos when it starts rotting or falling apart from one side it is not like an sps that you can frag. if it is sick the whole animal is sick. it needs to heal before being fragged. i would put it in a quaranteen bucket with a high watrr flow and do regular water changes to prevent bacteria levels climbing too much. i would also put a drop of lugols or similar iodine in water.
Not in my experience, I had a huge pin cushion that got infected with something and the whole one side of it turned into mush, I took it out the tank and it stank really badly. I cut almost 1/2 of the pin cushion away and placed it back into the tank, it recovered beautifully and after a few months it was looking just as good as it was before, albeit a bit smaller. :p

Not in my experience, I had a huge pin cushion that got infected with something and the whole one side of it turned into mush, I took it out the tank and it stank really badly. I cut almost 1/2 of the pin cushion away and placed it back into the tank, it recovered beautifully and after a few months it was looking just as good as it was before, albeit a bit smaller. :p

yup i must confess that i "helped" a lfs a few years ago to frag diseased sarcophytons to try and save them but they all slooshed up and died anyway. at the time i didresearch and thecprevailing opinion at that time was if a sarcophyton is diseased. the statement was" if it aint healthy dont frag it" but i saw in the article i found and posted after that. there are more alternatives. i like the liquid plaster alternative personally!. (i must say i was tempted to go and correct my earlier post but decided to leave it so people can see how"when you know better do better applies":blush:

okay, im have to frag him now, what, pair of sharp scissors, iodine dip, and then back in tank, is it?

read the article i posted for you it has some good tips that will increase chances of its survival. you dry cut. coat cut area with superglue and return to water

Back
Top Bottom