Sammy's nano boyu new tank

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie, please give me all your input into where i'm going ?

As a 4 day old newbie i would like to highlight my mistaskes made aleady :

Very upseset with LFS for seeling me my LR without even staring cyycling my water ??

1) Too in a hurry and not cleaned cleaned my substrate, its the tidal marine sand?? ??? Could'nt wait to get mey tank gonig??

2) not wanting to add NSW and taking my LFS's advice of using tap water and adding INSTANT OCEAN ?? as its cycling now, should i start over or just let it run and change it slowly with NSW???

3) tank now cycling for the past 4 days, contemplating starting over with NSW ??

What do I do ?

Below find some pics, please please help ?

welcome, you came to the right place.

firstly never ever use tap water!
use ro water mixed with instant ocean.

Some guys use NSW, but they get it at some place there in CPT(don't know where)

cycling takes about four weeks, buy some testkits, nh3, no2,no3,ph and test 2 times a week for 4 weeks until amonia and nitrites is o, nitrates needs to be 0 but you will be fine if you can keep it below 40ppm.

can't see the pic's?

The first pics
867483c80a8d53e2.jpg

All water chemicals seem to be well within check, ammonia quite high but i guess that is to be expected with the age of the tank ???

nice looking tank!

matt will help you upgrade this baby in no time(pimp my nano:))

for know start using ro/di water, your LFS should sell it to you or ask one the guys on forum to help you with water.
best to wait for the advise from the cpt dudes to tell you what to do with the NSW

Good luck

oja one more powerhead will do the trick and some more LR,contact obi-wan,he sells some really good LR

please give me more details about obi-wan ? BTW do you think my powerhead is in the correct position ?

Hey Sammy.

Welcome from one newbie to another.

You can get NSW from the marine biology aquarium in Sea Point free of charge.

I would say empty your atnk, and start over, its only been 4 days. but Im not sure what the experts say...

Your tank is looking cool, I have the same (550 boyu), check Matt, Tank-o-holics and my threads for some more advice on these tanks..

Oh, and patient is the game here (even though im not to good at it)

Hi sammy,i vote start all over again,you dont want to have nasty algea problems at a later stage,also rinse your LR out in NSW after filling up the tank.and if you want to use a synthetic salt,make sure you mix with RO water :)
I agree. Rather start over or you may very well be swearing at your tank for the next 6 months trying to get rid of algae, always better safe than sorry.

How about doing a 50% change with NSW ??? Will that help ? Or do we just go the full restart ??? Will I not damage my LR with once again taking it out ???

Lr is shipped with a little bit of water or in some cases none(4-6hours),so you wont hirt it with water:whistling:

Hi Sammy - I agree with the complete re-fill of your tank's water. You DEFINITELY don't want to end up with a LOT of nuisance algae in your tank.

You can either get the NSW from the Reseach Aquarium in Sea Point (as Robski pointed out), OR, you can join the 2 Oceans Aquarium (R140 for 1 year membership), and get your NSW from them (this is filtered of course - I get mine from there. I don't know about the Reseach Aquarium water, though - I must be filtered, but not 100% sure). You are allowed to collect up to 400 litres of water from 2 Oceans Aquarium, per week.....

Back
Top Bottom