Salinity during cycling

SchyffS

Reef Aquarist
Reaction score
Alternative salinity during cycling
My question is related to lowering the salinity during cycling.
Can one lower the salinity during cycling, if so what would be the lowest salinity value.
Ofcourse, when N/P levels reach acceptable levels and the tank filter system has finally matured then my idea is to increase the salinity to its correct level and get the Ca, kH and pH values in sync.

I read somewhere on a bacteria product that the salinity must not be lower than 1.017 in order for the bacteria to survive, this is the basis of my question.
It will lower the startup costs of cycling and also it wont be a complete waste to have perfect salinity values while cycling for a month or two.

Any views on this?

Last edited:
The cost saving will be negligiable, rather run at 1024 and get used to running and keeping stable params before ls is added
Posted via Mobile Device

I dont have a problem with the getting the parameters to spec nor a problem to keep it stable.

It was just a thought that crossed my mind after reading the instructions of the bacteria formula.

If the ocean has an average salinity of 1.025 then its lower value should be way less than 1.024 and higher value more than 1.026......and if the ocean is sustaining life at lower salinity values then surely there is merit in doing so during cycling only..

The point i sthat during cycling one only really is concerened with Amonia, nitrite and nitrate.
If the calcium, ph and kH are at acceptable levels(minimum levels) to maintain bacterial growth then all should be well, just my opinion.

Thanks for the advise.

Normal salinity levels.

No point in "breeding" or colonizing your live rock with bacteria that lives with lower salt levels. While killing the live you got in your rock with the low levels. When you push the level up to what it should be, those new bacteria will die, and cause a cycle. So your cycle restarts. No gain. Only pain.

Same reason why a quarantine tank that is on Hypo do not have a DSB. If it does have one, then the DSB will be a Hypo DSB. But you cannot change that tank to be on normal levels, than a month later back to Hypo. DSB will die and have to regrow on new salt levels.

I agree, keep the level as close to natural sea water as possible so that the bacteria, miniature crustaseans like cope pods, amphipods, etc can thrive. Not even to talk about the possible coral pollyps, sponges, etc in and on the live rock.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom