RSM skimmer help needed (RSM owners)

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm having a RSM 250 that has been running for a few months now. All of the sudden I started losing some of my Lps.

All my water parameters are in tact. Nitrate 2, phos 0.03, mag 1260, calc 460, Alk 9.9, ph 8.1, SG 1.025, temp25.

I would like to know whether it can be that I'm over skimming, etc? Or what can be the problem?:eek:

I opened the skimmer tap/ controller wider otherwise I have micro bubbles @Bendor, I noted that you converted yours to a normal green 'tap').

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated

@tekkengal, @Bendor, @Louise, @tokolosh, @Mr Smith

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont think its the skimmer, can you explain the losses, just lps?
params look good, how is the light? are you feeding the corals?

what type of LPS corals?

I agree with @dallasg as in I don't think it is the skimmer.
The most important parameters right now are your NO2 (nitrite) and ammonia readings which you need to provide. I suspect that those readings may be out. I lost a few LPS corals a few months back because those parameters spiked.

Are you running the stock filtration (ceramic rings and sponges)?
Also, post a pic of your skimmer settings in the interim in case it is your skimmer. How is the skimmate that it is producing?

Agreed.

Nitrate and nitrite levels?

I think you said before all sponges and ceramics removed. Running cubes, chemipure and carbon if I am not mistaken.

Most people struggle to skim properly with the rsm. Over skimming is very unlikely.

You may have spiked nitrates or if you ar running lots of cubes and not feeding enough you may have no nitrates at all. Also not a lps favourite but I don't know that they would die. Maybe just all a bit from no nitrates.

Last edited:
i dont think its the skimmer, can you explain the losses, just lps?
params look good, how is the light? are you feeding the corals?

It's my hammers. Te green oe died and the pink is not doing well at all.

I replaced all the lights with ATI's.

I agree with @dallasg as in I don't think it is the skimmer.
The most important parameters right now are your NO2 (nitrite) and ammonia readings which you need to provide. I suspect that those readings may be out. I lost a few LPS corals a few months back because those parameters spiked.

Are you running the stock filtration (ceramic rings and sponges)?
Also, post a pic of your skimmer settings in the interim in case it is your skimmer. How is the skimmate that it is producing?

I didn't test for nitrite and ammonia. Shoud I buy those tests? I only have the following tests: nitrate, Phos, Alk, Calc and Mag.

I replaced all ceramic rings and sponges. I'm running reactor with bio pellets, orca cubes and carbon in the one compartment next to skimmer. Skimmate brownish colour.

What about Purigen?

Agreed.

Nitrate and nitrite levels?

I think you said before all sponges and ceramics removed. Running cubes, chemipure and carbon if I am not mistaken.

Most people struggle to skim properly with the rsm. Over skimming is very unlikely.

You may have spiked nitrates or if you ar running lots of cubes and not feeding enough you may have no nitrates at all. Also not a lps favourite but I don't know that they would die. Maybe just all a bit from no nitrates.

I didn't test for nitrite and ammonia. Shoud I buy those tests? I only have the following tests: nitrate, Phos, Alk, Calc and Mag.

I replaced all ceramic rings and sponges. I'm running reactor with bio pellets, orca cubes and carbon in the one compartment next to skimmer. Skimmate brownish colour

My nitrates increased from 0 to 2. I'm maintaining my Phos at 0.03.

Can it be reacted to nutrition levels?

It's my hammers. Te green oe died and the pink is not doing well at all.

I replaced all the lights with ATI's.
Well did the corals start to decline after bulb change? Maybe light shock

I replaced all ceramic rings and sponges. I'm running reactor with bio pellets, orca cubes and carbon in the one compartment next to skimmer. Skimmate brownish colour.

What about Purigen?

If you replaced all the rings and sponge in one go you need to test for ammonia and nitrite, that's the biological filter

Can I dose special blend and nite out?

What other proposals do you have?

My open brain, frogspawn and others are doing well. My frogspawn even developed another head:).

Well did the corals start to decline after bulb change? Maybe light shock

If you replaced all the rings and sponge in one go you need to test for ammonia and nitrite, that's the biological filter

Lights were replaced prior to adding the Lps and most coral. I replaced the filtering system mid January 2013. Only placed coral in mid Feb 2013.

After replacing the filtering system, there was a spike in parameters which came under control once pellets and orca activated after few days/ weeks.

I had a read through your tank thread looking at the age of your filtration system; I don't think your tank parameters could be off. It sounds more like a coral disease than anything else. Can you put up a pic of the sick coral? I would still test the nitrite and ammonia levels just to be sure though.

It's not too wet.

Ver difficult to say, I'm allowing for pressure only to come up slightly. Hope I'm not confusing you:(

Not at all. :thumbup:;)

I had a read through your tank thread looking at the age of your filtration system; I don't think your tank parameters could be off. It sounds more like a coral disease than anything else. Can you put up a pic of the sick coral? I would still test the nitrite and ammonia levels just to be sure though.

Will add pic in te morning.

I used the Red Sea kit that I bought te tank with.

Nitrite 0,05 ( it has the following levels 0, 0.05 and 0.1)

Ammonia 0.25 (0, o.25, 0.5 and1)

What should I do to decrease these parameters?

Those readings are high, I would do a water change to dilute it; maybe a 20% and above change? (experts will need to comment). Use the special blend accordingly as well. Purigen should have helped though, where have you placed it?
Please post your coral pics up tomorrow to see if it is water parameter related or if it is a disease.

You have a nice selection of corals btw :)

Dose what you have, special blend etc
You can get seachem prime or prodibio stopammo
Don't panic, and test about 2 hours after dosing

Those readings are high, I would do a water change to dilute it; maybe a 20% and above change? (experts will need to comment). Use the special blend accordingly as well. Purigen should have helped though, where have you placed it?
Please post your coral pics up tomorrow to see if it is water parameter related or if it is a disease.

You have a nice selection of corals btw :)

Did a 15% WC.

Purigen in same compartment with pellet reactor, carbon, orca (next to skimmer) I also have an airstone in there. I will use special blend and nite out.

Will post pic (I'm still at work). I dont think its water parameters, as all my other coral are happy and doing well, it's only the hammers.

Thanks, I really like a tank with colour.

Dose what you have, special blend etc
You can get seachem prime or prodibio stopammo
Don't panic, and test about 2 hours after dosing

Thanks, will do.

Will dose special blend and nite out.

I have another product Stop Ammo vials (bought with tank), you think I can dose it before Special blend?

Already did a 15% WC. Will do another 25% WC on Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom