Rookie Needing Basics

Reaction score
I am a brand new salt water aquarium owner. I have had a fresh water tank for years. But I know that this is rather different. I don't want to mess it up.

I bought an established tank on January 25th. I bought a Juwul Vision 180 from a friend of a good friend. We moved the tank and kept probably two thirds of the original water. It came with the Juwul pump,strp lights, filter and a protein skimmer. The tank had in it;

live rock
2 x surgeon fish
2 x anenome
4 x hermit crabs(hercules, snap, crackle and pop)
1 x coral banded cleaner shrimp(I think thats its name) BIG CLAWS
1 x radiant wrasse
1 x cleaner wrasse
1 x weaver wrasse
1 x maroon clown fish(Tyson)
1 x 6 lined wrasse
1 x white spotted angel fish
1 x blue damsel
2 x little grey jobs - teardrop shape with a blue tip on the fins -Tangs?
1 x sea urchen
Ears

After about 10 days the surgeons got white spot and died. I did a water change
and covered the tank for about 1 and a half days. The white spot has not enitrely gone. The 2 little grey jobs and the angel have a "dusting" of white spot. Which I know will get worse.

Can anybody tell me of a treatment that won't kill off anything else in the tank. A miracle maybe.
Or must I get rid of the dusted fish?

I have continued doing a 10% water change weekly.

Since I bought the tank, I have been doing research on Reef tanks. I have learnt that almost all the fish I have are the wrong fish.

My main questions are;
*)how can I get rid of the white spot and save the fish?
*)how long before I can add coral?
*)which of the fish should I keep and which to give away?
Thanks

65499c6e8f6756e.png

OK Fists things first, how big is the tank and what filtration is being used.
Being Feb, what temp are you sitting at.

Also you would need to measure at the very least, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, SG and PH.

This is a lovely side of the obby, just a few new tricks to learn:thumbup:

welcometomasa

those little grey jobs sound more like Damsels to me. With whitespot you could just keep your water conditions good and the fish healthy(eating well) and it will clear on its own. the cleaner wrasse should help a bit with the cleaning. It seems you may have gone back to the way the tank was with more or less what bacteria it had. What did you do to fill the rest of the tank up? did you use Matural Sea water or Salt mix and Reverse Osmosis water?
For certain corals you need certain lighting, like some desire more than others, some desire more specified water conditions than others. It depends on what you want to keep.

In terms of the fish we would need to see pics to be able to decide if you have any potential disasters waiting to happen. What filtration do you have?

oh you got there first kanga:( haha. Lisa why dont you visit us for our monthly reef club meetings? We are having one on the last thursday of the month, Have a look at the link in my signature to see where etc. PM me if you are interested and have any other questions;)

hey lisa:)
welcome to masa and well done on getting that tank:) its great to get into marines, always a little daunting as there seems so much to learn after bath water tanks, but dont worry we will help you through it.

kanga has a set of questions for you to start with so i wont add to them just yet, but a pic of the tank will help us greatly, and in turn help you.

the more you read in here and ask questions of the quicker you will learn, and you need to learn fast with those fish as they are.

Now I am starting to panic..................
O.k.
I have been testing the water every day. Give me a couple of minuites and I will give you the answers.

I'll be back

hehe no need to panic:) we will help lots. and good to know you ahve some test results written down....you are already a better reefer than me :) not that its hard to beat LOL

I am a brand new salt water aquarium owner. I have had a fresh water tank for years. But I know that this is rather different. I don't want to mess it up. Its very different and immensley more fun. Bath water is a hobby, marines is a passion:) oh and we try really hard not to let people mess it up, masa will pick you up when you are down and share in your happiness when you are up:)

I bought an established tank on January 25th. I bought a Juwul Vision 180 (do you know how many l? and does it have a sump?) from a friend of a good friend. We moved the tank and kept probably two thirds of the original water. It came with the Juwul pump,strp lights, filter and a protein skimmer. The tank had in it;

live rock (any idea how much? as in kg weight?)
2 x surgeon fish
2 x anenome (ok we have to watch these fellas a little, more for experienced reefers and IF THEY START TO MOVE WE NEED TO KNOW!) :)
4 x hermit crabs(hercules, snap, crackle and pop) woohoo....rice CRISPIES:)
1 x coral banded cleaner shrimp(I think thats its name) BIG CLAWS( also called a boxing shrimp, very nice:))
1 x radiant wrasse
1 x cleaner wrasse
1 x weaver wrasse
1 x maroon clown fish(Tyson) ( is he really that aggresive, or did you ahve him in jail a while?)
1 x 6 lined wrasse
1 x white spotted angel fish
1 x blue damsel
2 x little grey jobs - teardrop shape with a blue tip on the fins -Tangs? (tangs and surgeons are normally the same, do these look ANYTHING like the surgeons? I am thinking like scuba does that they are damsels:)
1 x sea urchen
Ears

After about 10 days the surgeons got white spot and died. I did a water change
and covered the tank for about 1 and a half days. The white spot has not enitrely gone. The 2 little grey jobs and the angel have a "dusting" of white spot. Which I know will get worse. (can you tell us how you do water changes, just describe the process?)

Can anybody tell me of a treatment that won't kill off anything else in the tank. A miracle maybe. ( yes, very easy actually. its called good husbandry)
Or must I get rid of the dusted fish? (we dont kill you each time you have a cold! ;))

I have continued doing a 10% water change weekly.

Since I bought the tank, I have been doing research on Reef tanks. I have learnt that almost all the fish I have are the wrong fish.

My main questions are;
*)how can I get rid of the white spot and save the fish?
*)how long before I can add coral?
*)which of the fish should I keep and which to give away?
Thanks

theres a few more questions

welcometomasa
Hi Lisa. nice to see that you found masa.
I am new here myself and i must say that you are in the best hands possible :thumbup:

where are the pictures:whistling:........

O.K. HERE WE GO

Nitrite - 0
PH - 8
Nitrate - 15ppm
Temp 28

Amonia - the kit is a bit confusing. The card reads 0.5 BUT the pamplet then says to look at a table taking the temp and ph into account. That translates to 0.005. Can that be right?

The alkalinity reads between 1.7 and 2.8. It says "normal"

My pump is the Tetratec EX 700
I have a Prism protein skimmer (on the top of the tank)
The filter is a Juwel which came with the tank.
The capacity is 200litres
Phew

SG salinity? no test kit.

Any thing I missed?

Hi
yes I missed something. I used mature sea water when we filled the other third of the tank. The little grey jobs are a bit skinny, but eating.
Tyson is a bit agro, but only when somebody goes too close to his beloved anenome.

He keeps swirling up the sand with his tail. As a result he has manouvered the anenome under the rocks. Seems alright.

When I change the water, I use a syphon on the sand and refill with a jug into a bowl on the surface.

The live rock looks about 30 ish %. It looks alot - maybe 40%. Iffy!!

And yes I agree, I don't want to get rid of the fish because they are sick, I just want to get them better.
Thanks

Hi
yes I missed something. I used mature sea water when we filled the other third of the tank. The little grey jobs are a bit skinny, but eating.
Tyson is a bit agro, but only when somebody goes too close to his beloved anenome.

He keeps swirling up the sand with his tail. As a result he has manouvered the anenome under the rocks. Seems alright. ( we might need to check that, they feed about 80% by a symbiotic relationship with photosynthetic bacteria so lights REALY important to nennies!)

When I change the water, I use a syphon on the sand and refill with a jug into a bowl on the surface. ( good to see some habits from fresh water are comming over, but i take it that you DONT have a sump then? else you would have put it in the sump???)

The live rock looks about 30 ish %. It looks alot - maybe 40%. Iffy!! ( which = how many kg's approx.....or how many l is the tank and we can take a guestamate from that for now :))

And yes I agree, I don't want to get rid of the fish because they are sick, I just want to get them better. (great to hear, keep them feeding and strong, and a varied diet, they will shake it off:))
Thanks

lisa can you give us dimentions of the tank? i get the impression its quite small and sounds very heavily stocked if it is?

Vision 180

Volume: approx. 180 Litres

There you go Crispin:)

Back
Top Bottom