Rockpool inverts

Reaction score
Hi guys (hope im putting this in the right section)

i was walking around the rock pools today and saw these guys

they looked amazing, just wanted to know if i can get any advice as to whether they are reef safe? would anyone know
if they are i would love to go back to my roots and let the sea provide of its bounties for me :m14:

Everything in those photoes prefer cold water so will probably not be a good idea to add them, urchins need a lot of algae to graze on and tend to rearrange things in the tank and that little anemone is a curse and can eat your fish.
Rather visit a pet store for a new addition

Yip all cold water. Dont even think the anemone will make one day. Will go belly up within a few hours. Ghost/Glass shrimps are the only guys that will live longer in warmer waters. I have about 45 of them in my setup just over a month now and have no deaths so far and some have shed already and some carrying eggs. Awesome cleanup crew

Last edited:
But what temps do those rock pools reach during the day?

Close to 30deg but remeber thats only at that temp for about 3 to 4 hours at low tide. When the tide comes in again the water is cold.

Last edited:
I added urchins from rock pools and they still alive. Purple short spine urchins.

They might live but not thrive. When i went and cought the shrimps on the net there was 2 small snails, like 2mm in size. I added them with the shrimps. One died and became food the other one is almost a R2 coin size now. When i started my first marine tank 10 years ago i went out and collected loads of stuff from the Blouberg area. All the anemone died over night, urchins did live longer but slowly they got less and less. Must say the hermits i collected from Stand/Gordons Bay area lived until i sold the system, was like 4 years in my tank.

I had one or two glass shrimps jump and luckily i was standing next to my tank when they jumped. All my fish gave chase and that caused them to jump. I caught them all and placed them in my sump. Went to Hermanus and only caught the bigger ones and had no issues

Gosh, I'm getting old... I don't see any glass shrimp..

In the first pic I see 2 potatoes and a rock pool anemone...

But I would take the glass shrimp and leave the rest behind. :m106:

Gosh, I'm getting old... I don't see any glass shrimp..

In the first pic I see 2 potatoes and a rock pool anemone...

But I would take the glass shrimp and leave the rest behind. :m106:

Lol... now when I want to buy live rock... going to tell the wife i need to get some potatoes.

There is no glass shrimp in the pic... it was just something off topic.

whant to pic up some stuff in the rockpools but im scared some writes me a fine or something

I collected a lot of stuff from rock pools, and other deeper "pools" that were exposed during spring low. If you have a permit you are good to go. I think its tidal pools that you cannot collect from.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom