Rock Pooling Tips?

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Does anybody have any unique tips or tricks on how to catch those pesky fish that refuse to come out under rocks in rock/tidal pools?

long thick cable tie

They think its an octopus coming in.

long thick cable tie

They think its an octopus coming in.

I have a long thin dowel with a piece of leather strips cut up for that, I call it a "Tokkel" not sure what it is in English but it also simulates a octopus.

Last edited:
Wear polaroid sunglasses. Even if it's cheapies. Helps to see into the water, by removing some of the sky's reflection off the water's surface. It makes spotting hiding fish easier.

Last edited:
Always watch your shadow, try and keep your shadow out the pool ant try not wear bright clothing otherwise
The fish will see you coming and stay under the rocks.
All the above and lots of patients
Cheers wes

I have tried to remove an anthias from a crevice with a prawn pump before man were there is a will there is a way

one of the best tips i can give you is to leave the pool in the manner you found it, dont pull rocks out and just leave them high and dry.. think of the future and the fish youd like to catch in that pool next season and return the rocks to the way you found them :)

good luck puddle hopping..

And to add to what Leslie said, only take what you absolutely need (don't take a soccer ball size zoa colony, when a few heads will do), know how to take care of (feeding and special requirements) , can accommodate (adult size) and is compatible with your current livestock (aggression, behavior or environmental needs) .

You can't change your mind later, as you can't return something to the ocean once it's been in your tank and you are not allowed to sell, swop or give away anything.

Put a net in the opening ( exit pont )
and a syringe full of milk with a air line pipe.
get the pipe right into the back of the crevice and gently spray some milk in , the white clown should scare him out into the net.

I heard this a while back , not sure if it can be a problem... i doubt it , its alkaline and calcium base :biggrin:

Thanks everyone, but I was hoping there was some magical tip I missed out on. Seems everybody is on the same page, thanks though.

If you are rock hopping, keep an eye out on the waves.
And its better on tide going out than in. Before low tide. Chances that waves will catch you on a rock island is less. But still, you will get that one wave... smacking you...

Back
Top Bottom