Ritteri anemone

Reaction score
I hear they are very hard to keep.
What do you all think?

I have 300w MH & 4x 24w T5's

600L tank. Think i could keep it happy?

:whistling:

I'm assuming that's 2 x 150w MH's :p I think the name 'Ritteri' has been done away with and they are referred to as Heteractis Magnifica's now, I think, could have been another name, my brain is too old to remember, anyway, :p I have kept 2 Magnifica's under 150w MH's, they are severe light huggers so ideally 250w MH's as a minimum, but if you use good quality branded globes and renew your 150's regularly, keep your water crystal clear (for better light penetration), no oily slick on the water surface, try and place the anemones at the top of the tank, have your MH's no more than 20cm's from the water surface then you should be ok. BUT I would only recommend one of these difficult anemone's in a mature stable tank, no less than 1 year old. And most definitely cover your powerheads, both of my magnifica's went for a walk and ended up getting minced in one of the pumps, luckily they survived, but my tank went all milky, skimmer overflowed the sump with foam, not a nice experience.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input viper. Think i will try get away with getting my clowns to host in a large frogspawn. They getting very agro. And thinking the whole tank is thiers. Or maybe you can give me some advice. They are clarkii clowns. Very large

I'm assuming that's 2 x 150w MH's :p I think the name 'Ritteri' has been done away with and they are referred to as Heteractis Magnifica's now, I think, could have been another name, my brain is too old to remember, anyway, :p I have kept 2 Magnifica's under 150w MH's, they are severe light huggers so ideally 250w MH's as a minimum, but if you use good quality branded globes and renew your 150's regularly, keep your water crystal clear (for better light penetration), no oily slick on the water surface, try and place the anemones at the top of the tank, have your MH's no more than 20cm's from the water surface then you should be ok. BUT I would only recommend one of these difficult anemone's in a mature stable tank, no less than 1 year old. And most definitely cover your powerheads, both of my magnifica's went for a walk and ended up getting minced in one of the pumps, luckily they survived, but my tank went all milky, skimmer overflowed the sump with foam, not a nice experience.

In addition to what Dean said above....It is extremely difficult to find a healthy one at your LFS. They don't do well with being harvested, off to wholesalers, then shipped one or more times before they end up at the LFS. They are also not always taken care of well at their stops along their journey. You need to be able to recognize unhealthy anemones, and be knowledgeable on how to assist if it needs recovery.

IMO, it is best to start out with a E. quadricolor (BTA) as they are more forgiving, but only after your tank is stable and you've met all of its requirements.

Last edited:
Brenda, do you have a " Anemone identification for dummies" chart or guide? Newbies, and most aquarist do not have a clue as to the identification and and suitability of anemone species.

Hmm... i also need some pointers.:blush:

Some excellent advice given by Brenda and dean (dont be so harsh on yourself we know your brain is actually ancient :)). definatley advise i would relay to anyone considering taking on a anemone..

Back
Top Bottom