Rio Pump

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a rio pump that is 5000LPH, and it was working perfectly the first time i tried it. and then it sat in its box for a couple of weeks while i did a few modifications and stuff on the tank. then the other day i connected it as my return and i got absolutely nothing out of it. so i disconnected and tested it in a bucket of water and i am getting no water movement at all. so i opened it to see the wheel etc and with at bit of fiddling it worked for about a second and it pumped fiercely again. i dont know what i did and i have no idea what is wrong. can anyone help?

Can you take the impellor out to see if it is scratched, or marked in any way? the impellor and motor is magnetic - long shot but did you store it near any powerful magnets? has wter got into the plug?

Can you take the impellor out to see if it is scratched, or marked in any way? the impellor and motor is magnetic - long shot but did you store it near any powerful magnets? has wter got into the plug?

will check to see if it has got a crack or mark. i dont think it was stored near any strong magnet, only other pumps. i know it is magnetic but couldnt see why it would spin a bit then not at all. but will check. and there is no water in the plug. will check the other stuff

Most likely broken shaft. They also have what looks like a polyurethane (skate board wheels) covering the impeller magnet. If not sitting plumb straight the outside lower edge could be binding. They are also lubricated with liquid silicone when they leave the factory. I believe that this can thicken over time especially since you ran in salt water. The salt pH can accelerate this process. ie above pH 7 your silicone will begin to harden.

Most likely broken shaft. broken how? as in snapped in half?
They also have what looks like a polyurethane (skate board wheels) covering the impeller magnet. If not sitting plumb straight the outside lower edge could be binding. They are also lubricated with liquid silicone when they leave the factory. I believe that this can thicken over time especially since you ran in salt water. The salt pH can accelerate this process. ie above pH 7 your silicone will begin to harden.flip i hope not

if i bring it to the dinner would you mind taking a minute to have a look at it?

Yea broken in half. also...Do the bushes at the ends of the shaft fit snugly in their holes. ie the shaft does not feel loose.

Back
Top Bottom