Rics Flora and Yumma

Reaction score
So I love Rics had both flora and yummas, however they just don't survive in my tank. All my corals are thriving (see my new updated posts on my tank thread in my signature) but no matter what I do my rics last a month then start to change color and eventually disappear.

Are they that difficult to look after? I have a gorgonian that survives nicely and multiple clams and the tank is looking good, but this is my third attempt at rics and each time I lose them after a month or so :( any advise please.

what kind of flow and light do you have on the rics? The yumma are known to be more tricky

what kind of flow and light do you have on the rics? The yumma are known to be more tricky

The tank is generally very well lit, right now the the Rics are in a high light low flow area. When I got them I put them in a medium light high flow area and they just shrivelled away.

Some of them are still eating as I fed the gorgonia last night with reef pearls and put some on the rics their mouths opened and looks like they (and the zoas) where munching away.

They not full and colorful like they use to be they now LUMO and shrivelled. I would compare them as when I got them GRAPE now Raisin.

@Loki .. Loki knows a bit about rics as his just keep multiplying.. Its actually been a while since anyone has mentioned rics on this forum

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same problem , they do well then just die. I have heard that they like nutrient rich water.

With my old rics as soon as i put them in medium or semi high flow they would start shriveling up,
put them in low flow and they were fine, also in high flow they might tend to walk, naturally propergating themselves but first get them happy.

Yeah I would believe they have the same requirements as a mushroom, low flow and not too bright light. People say the yummas do good then die, never personally had one

With my old rics as soon as i put them in medium or semi high flow they would start shriveling up,
put them in low flow and they were fine, also in high flow they might tend to walk, naturally propergating themselves but first get them happy.

Thank you very much for the advise, what do you think about lighting are they senstive to the lighting?

well medium to high lighting would be best, but my mate has rics in a pico and the only light he has is rio sun led's, the ones with the swing arm, and they are doing well. my first rics were under 4 t5 and did very well. but that was in a shallow propagation tank, my next were under 6 t5 and did fine in a tank of about 600 deep

well medium to high lighting would be best, but my mate has rics in a pico and the only light he has is rio sun led's, the ones with the swing arm, and they are doing well. my first rics were under 4 t5 and did very well. but that was in a shallow propagation tank, my next were under 6 t5 and did fine in a tank of about 600 deep

Right now they about 15cm from the surface and the lights are another 15cm from the surface so in total 30cm away from the actual light. The lighting:

x1 150w MH 14k
x4 24w T5's
x2 Pink Gizm
x2 Antic Blue Oddesy

That should be enough light... .my clams are right next to it and they loving it....

they are funny things tbh, i know of experienced reefers we talking 3M tank experienced sps grow like weeds reefers wo have them just melt away with no reason. i had the same issue happen they were 100% for a few months and they just melted away, same with my mate. al other corals doing well.

its one of those mysteries that cant be explained as al the other mushrooms doing fine

The tank is generally very well lit, right now the the Rics are in a high light low flow area. When I got them I put them in a medium light high flow area and they just shrivelled away.

Some of them are still eating as I fed the gorgonia last night with reef pearls and put some on the rics their mouths opened and looks like they (and the zoas) where munching away.

They not full and colorful like they use to be they now LUMO and shrivelled. I would compare them as when I got them GRAPE now Raisin.

Can you share some info on the food fed to gorgonia - is his for non-photosynthetic ones

Can you share some info on the food fed to gorgonia - is his for non-photosynthetic ones

Sure - twice a week - Reef Pearls mix with Cyclo-peeze.

Use a tot glass, with a turkey baster and all pumps off, then put some over the gorgi, check my signiture it has a link to my tank just took some pics of my gorgi :)

I have had the same experience I haven't tried floridas but the yumas just faded away, very sad as they are stunning coral. I have read some people say they take a long time to acclimate to brighter lighting and I thought that might have been my problem. I agree its one of those mysterious things of reef keeping, the only coral that I have tried and failed with so far.

Back
Top Bottom