RiaanP Mermaid tank

at last, now I can continue.

IMG_20181122_183019.jpg

New purposely made sump. 1000 by 500mm, water level will be at 230mm. Front panel is 300mm, others are 350mm. My skimmer will fit easily and cleaning the cup would be a breeze. Dividers would be placed once I got the skimmer fitted.

OK, proceeded a bit...

IMG_20181128_061504.jpg

Loads still to do.
ATU needs to be set up.
STC1000 is plugged in but only 2 heaters. No fans yet.
Water change drum must still be connected. Yeah, another extra incoming pipe.
Refugium lights installed. Got 2*30W LED spotlights 6000K

So much to do, so little time...

And... Let there be light

IMG_20181128_211622.jpg

What I can show of the work done last night.

2 * 30W LED spotlights at 6000K
And the very first caulerpa going in.

The black thing on the left, used to be the filter compartment of a Buyo TL550. Then it become a skimmer stand. Lots of soft brown filter feeder worms on is, especially on the ex-chambers side. Did not want to kill them all as I do like them. As long as they are not on the front glass panel. So I kept their platform / home.

Think I should add 1 actinic / blue T5 tube. Just to get the look more "marine".

ATU connected. Both main system and holding system. Both being fed from the blue drum.

But found the one green drum that is full of rocks to be dripping below. Slow drip, but bulkhead needs to be redone. Unpack a 220L drum full of rocks, drain the water. re-silicone the bulkhead, refill, put rocks back.

Eish. So much work for a few drops of water.

6 weeks later.
Critters having a party of the front glass panel!

Refugium going.jpg

I did not clean the front glass because I'm not a party pooper!
They are actually cleaning the glass in patches.

Caulerpa forest going nicely.

Sump / Fish room

600L refugium tank with DSB

Frag tank. On the left is my small cheato ball in the basket.

The actual sump.

Cryptic tank (left)
Salt mix (center)
RO topup (right)

Quarantine holding tank

I'm a bit behind on water changes, but yes, the one I've done yesterday was 200L.

The middle drum got a drain at the bottom. For a water change I close the inlet valve. Hook up long flexible hose at the bottom and open the bottom ball valve.
Refill from RO, Add 7kg salt. There is an old pump inside the drum mixing it up. When salinity levels are right I just need to open the inlet valve. Long standpipe inside the drum acts as an overflow.

No need to carry drums around. No spills in the house.

I'm a bit behind on water changes, but yes, the one I've done yesterday was 200L.

The middle drum got a drain at the bottom. For a water change I close the inlet valve. Hook up long flexible hose at the bottom and open the bottom ball valve.
Refill from RO, Add 7kg salt. There is an old pump inside the drum mixing it up. When salinity levels are right I just need to open the inlet valve. Long standpipe inside the drum acts as an overflow.

No need to carry drums around. No spills in the house.
Very nice and easy way to do water changes.

Did you use a tank connector on those drums for the ball valve? I've aways heard they will leak on round containers

Did you use a tank connector on those drums for the ball valve? I've aways heard they will leak on round containers
Normal bulkhead as found in the swimming pool section of hardware stores. The fitting is on the bottom of the drum, so on a flat surface. No problems.

Normal bulkhead as found in the swimming pool section of hardware stores. The fitting is on the bottom of the drum, so on a flat surface. No problems.
Thank you. Its a great idea you have:m106:

Back
Top Bottom