Replacement PUMPS

Reaction score
OK, as the heading stated, I need to replace my return pumps.

Bought them in 2007 and they still going, but I think it is time for replacement as they do not pump as strong as they used to as well as the fact that they are evil in electricity consumption.

The return pumps: 03 x HAILEA HX-6550

I am looking for 01 pump that'll do the job of the 3 existing pumps eg, strong flow, less wattage, and not costing an arm and a leg....

I do not know much about pumps, but Hailea has never failed on me.

Any suggestions and links/specs please?

Dont you think 2 return pumps would be better than one, from a fail safe point of view?? Seeing as you are currently running 3 pumps.

Only two that I can think of that put out around the 15 000l mark would be:

Sicce multi m16000e (15700lph,5m,230w)
Water blaster HY-16000 (16000lph,5.1m,190w)

But both pumps are around the R5000 to R6000 mark!

Reef octo also make a dc pump, the diablo dc-10500 (10500lph,5m,85w) and they about half of the above two price wise and wattage wise! Maybe run two of those as they are controlable so can be turned down if to strong.
Like evo r said, safer having two pumps rather than one

Last edited:
Rather go for 2 Waveline 12000.
They are getting delivered to the LFS this week as far as I know. Using 85W each. And 2 of them is cheaper than one Water Blaster.

Jungle Aquatics
Talk to Bryan

Also need to consider back pressure from 90' bends and any other restrictions. I'm sure I read somewhere that these dc pumps don't like to much back pressure? Just so etching to consider as well.

What's your return plumbing like?

Do you still have the big outside container / tank hooked up to your system? Need to pump water from there as well?

Aqua Medic eco runner that thing is a beast of a pump

You could try the 12000 model but i think the flow will be too heavy for the tank and its only 150w?

Last edited:
Thanks for the input thus far. I forgot to mention, height is 2.5 meters and tank is about 3 meters away.
Will these pumps mentioned, be able to pump strong at that height and is it internal or external pumps.
Would like to have links to the specific pumps or at least the specific name for the pumps so i can google

eish, Waveline

DC-12000 Specifications:
Input: DC24V (converted by AC100-240V
50/60 Hz)
Wattage: 100 watts at max speed
Water Flow Rate: 12000 Liters Max
Water Flow Height:
Dimensions: 180mm(L)x106mm(W)x147mm
(H);
Input: DC24V 3A (Converted by AC 100-240V
50/60Hz);
Water inlet: External D: 50mm, Internal D: 1.5″
Water outlet: External D: 40mm, Internal D:
1.25″
Flow rate: 0-12000L/Hour;
Water height max.: 7m

New Waveline DC6000 and DC12000 pumps - Marine Aquariums South Africa

I really need very strong flow as there are 2 outlets per pump in the tank.
Gaz, my overflow is 2 meters wide and 150 mm deep...... It can take a tsunami...

see I got the wattage wrong
the 10000 runs at 85w
the 12000 seems to be 100W

have a look at the new Aqua Medic Eco runners

Aqua Medic - KATALOG

they are pretty impressive although fall into the slightly more expensive price range, but wattage for flow produced is very good...

Last edited:
Hi Seank

I am running 1x Waveline DC 5000 in my 700l tank, head height 1.8m, and it works like da bomb !
I believe running 2x 12000's in your system will suit your needs more than adequately.
Thanks to Bryan from Jungle Aquatics for this fabulous pump !:thumbup:

The haileas has been running for 07 years nonstop (except the 01 year break I took wrt tank).
They were a fraction of the price, compared to the Abyzz, so I will definitely NOT look at them...lol.

Some members have pm'ed me wrt specs and Prices, Thank you. I need to make decision today as I need to pay and place order, while it is still fresh in my head, cause if I don't, I will most likely forget and it will not become a priority.

Will pm Jungle Aquatics for a price.

Last edited:
They were a fraction of the price, compared to the Abyzz, so I will definitely NOT look at them...lol
Sell you'r boat...:whistling:

Back
Top Bottom