Regal Angel

Reaction score
Hey guys..

with my tank starting up soon i am wanting a regal angel it fits very comfy in my biotope :) the price.. R400!

Its from the kenyan shipment so it will the the indian ocean variety. i hear they stronger?

will it definitely devour my lps?

and... should i add it 1st so i can look after it better or add it last?

thanks!

bruce id add it later rather than sooner because i would want my water parameters to stabalise a little first..

as for the nibbling some do some dont eat coral.. there is no set answer for them.. but from what i have seen on the forums they are a popular introduction to many systems ranging from softies to sps..

thanks bru!

This was on advanced aquarist:
My favorite large reef angel is the regal (Pygoplites diacanthus). I’ve had great success with this fish in reef aquariums. One that I had for almost 10 years died recently, but it never picked at a coral or clam in that entire time. I’ve had another regal angel (also a Red Sea variant) for almost a year now and it’s also well-behaved. In fact, this one even eats flake food! I’ve heard stories of regal angels picking at Xenia and Acropora corals, but I suspect that these are in the minority. In my opinion, if you can get a healthy specimen that’s eating well, it’s a good risk in a reef aquarium. Look for a Red Sea/Indian Ocean variant. They tend to be hardier and prettier than the Indo-Pacific variety.

i dont mind waiting, i got debt to pay off:)

Chances are sooner or later they will eat the LPS. Yip had one in the tank for about 2yrs now.

How you Les, Regal is going strong eats flake and Nori.

Alan. could you let me know how big your system is and how you got him to live...? is it from a mac supplier?

Very difficult fish to get to feed, once they feed you home free they are really fairly bullet proof. I put him in a seperate tank that was connected to my main system at first untilhe was eating and then added it to the main display. My display is 2.3x750x750 total volume is about 3000L
Somewhere in here is the Regal Alans poison - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

wow.. bigger system probably helped majorly in your favour

ocean nutrition angel formula will probably work in your favour of getting it to feed.
years back when alan got his this food was not available here.

i was up at petstop in pretoria a few weeks back and they had just recieved one the day before.......i think it was an indian ocean specimen but i stand to be corrected...

they threw in angel formula......and bang....fish was eating.

i thus bought large amounts to add to our ocean nutrician freezer and now it sells like sweets.

im pretty sure your lfs down there can get hold of it....if not let us know and we'll make a plan to get it down to you

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom