Reef Snow in nano

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Sorry if this has been discussed but I cant find a thread on the internet where its said if its good or bad.

How do you guys feel about dosing Brightwells reef snow. I think of dosing it like maybe twice a week. Dont want to overdo feedings. Ive only got 2 clowns in my tank so dont really have a bio load. Will reefsnow add to nitrates and po4.

Is it good or bad? Ive only got a few softies,a torch and candy cane.

Reef snow is good for softies and I think lps corals. But caustion must be used in feed especially in a nano as nitrates and po4 can rise very quickly!!!

dont waste ur time in a nano keep ur CA and ALK stable and do regular water changes it will ensure great healthh form the system and stability. Reef snow has more CA and ALK in it then actual food

Looking at the contents of it, it doesn't look like much more than a mineral supplament.

its confusing. im just scared that because of a tiny bio load,my corals dont have enough food for them. ive got 2,small clowns.make em 4-5cm long. im running purigen and phosguard so if dosing reef snow up the nutrients my filtration should sort it out.also,i only think of dosing like half a capfull twice a week

the poop ur fish make will be enough food for them very difficult to starve corals in a nano with fish in

i'm new at this (120ltr tank), but a friend advised me on 'snow', after my first dosing-3ml all my corals; mushrooms, pollops, open brain and an anemone, seemed to fill out and come alive. i have 6 fish in total, 2 dominoes, 2 tomato clowns, a blenny and a coral beauty... so who knows. i have no clue if i'm doing it right, i believe i was only supposed to put the anemone in after 6 months??? my tank is a month old although i used 'stabalizer' in week 2 for7 days...?
all comments welcome...

You will get a better response if you open up a new thread. I only use reef snow once a month and only a cap full at a time. But I also do two 20L water changes a week. Ih,and welcome to the forum. Your tank is not mature enough for a nennie. You might be lucky and it'll be ok,but I suggest that as soon as you see the nennie bleaching you return or give it to someone with a better setup.or even better.give it to someone that will keep it for you untill you have a mature tank.by mature we mean that you need your tanks water parametres to be stable. A nennie is very sensitive to these.what kinda lights you running? As I said,open a new thread for your tank,tell us more about your setup and a pic or two and we will be able to give you more and better advice. Welcome again and ask as many questions as you want.

m new at this (120ltr tank), but a friend advised me on 'snow', after my first dosing-3ml all my corals; mushrooms, pollops, open brain and an anemone, seemed to fill out and come alive. i have 6 fish in total, 2 dominoes, 2 tomato clowns, a blenny and a coral beauty... so who knows. i have no clue if i'm doing it right, i believe i was only supposed to put the anemone in after 6 months??? my tank is a month old although i used 'stabalizer' in week 2 for7 days...?
all comments welcome...

Gary, start a new thread under new members. You will get plenty of advice and help from the vast knowledge on this forum. IMO your tank is way to new for what you have in it.

Hey Charl,
When you say nano what size tank do you have?
I use microvore from brightwell, I does about a teaspoon or two every other day, I have like 6 fish in my 120L tank... go ahead and dose small amounts once or twice a week then slowly increase dosing....

Hey Charl,
When you say nano what size tank do you have?
I use microvore from brightwell, I does about a teaspoon or two every other day, I have like 6 fish in my 120L tank... go ahead and dose small amounts once or twice a week then slowly increase dosing....

I've got a tl 550. Its 128 l. I'm not sure if the marine snow is similar. I've been target feeding my lps corals with some mysis shrimp. Maybe ill try the marine snow and see how it goes. Ill test for no3 and po4 often and see how it goes.
Has your feeding affected your nutrients and how good is your skimmer coz mines pretty crap.

reef snow:
Carbonate 2,769 mg/oz. (93,600 ppm), calcium 1,627 mg/oz. (55,000 ppm), strontium 32.5 mg/oz. (1,100 ppm), magnesium 4.4 mg/oz. (150 ppm), potassium 0.3 mg/oz. (10 ppm), moisture (max) 70%, protein (min) 0.5%,
lipids (min) 0.15%, fiber (min) 0%.

Microvore;
Moisture (max) 92%, protein (min) 4.8%, lipid (min) 1.4%, fiber (min) 0.04%, ash (max) 1.2%.

Only difference is reef snow has extra elements for sony corals and stuff,
but the nutrients part is protein, lipid, fiber.

Well I have some GHA growning on one side of my glass which I just left slowly going away.. but thats mostly caused by topping up with tap water..., It takes out alot of my nutrients, My skimmer is fairly good, aqua medic multi skimmer about 2years old...

I use Reef snow on my nano for a month now, as I have issues with having pushed my nutrients to low....I skim heavily and dose bacteria, so I never had nitrate or P04 increase's

I cant see any difference in any of the corals....they all still look starving....Other than purposefully allowing nutrients to rise slightly Im going to go the Phyto Plankton route again....see if things improve.

I think its a case of finding the right amount to suite your tank and skimmer.....its a balancing act....as the tank matures why not add another fish and feed a bit more....

I use Reef snow on my nano for a month now, as I have issues with having pushed my nutrients to low....I skim heavily and dose bacteria, so I never had nitrate or P04 increase's

I cant see any difference in any of the corals....they all still look starving....Other than purposefully allowing nutrients to rise slightly Im going to go the Phyto Plankton route again....see if things improve.

I think its a case of finding the right amount to suite your tank and skimmer.....its a balancing act....as the tank matures why not add another fish and feed a bit more....

tanks been going for two years,so its quite mature. but not a fan of overstocking. My corals are all happy. none are starving. :thumbup:Im target feeding lps and since I started that they have grown insanely fast.:whoohoo: Just need a way to make em shrooms mutiply. Im definitely adding a fish or two. i need a show stopper for my tank so want something thats amazing.

Back
Top Bottom