Question on bubble algea

Reaction score
Hi

I need some clarification on bubble algea. I saw a picture of green looking bubbles growing on live rock. Quite clearly this is bubble algea.

However I see my live rock have some see-through bubbles on them. Is this oxygen that they are creating or could it be a form of bubble algea.

Don't have a pic right now.

Tx

Hi Peanut - can you please post pics for us. There are 2 macro types that are "known as" "bubble algae"....
One is the really bad type (this one has a metallic-like shine to it), and the other one is just basically another type of caulerpa....

Hi Peanut - can you please post pics for us. There are 2 macro types that are "known as" "bubble algae"....
One is the really bad type (this one has a metallic-like shine to it), and the other one is just basically another type of caulerpa....

Ok will try later today.

Question though - is it normal for any type of bubbles to form on live rock?

Yes Peanut - this shows that the live rock is actually doing it's work...... BUT - you actually SEE these bubbles if your flow in the tank is not a whole lot..... Live rock assists with denitrification - the bubbles that you see are oxygen and nitrogen bubbles - which is the absolute lowest level that ammonia/nitrites/nitrates can be broken down into (nitrogen is broken down into nitrogen and oxygen - which are both gasses)...

the bubbles are oxygen formed by the algaes photosynthetic abilities.. it is not ideal but not bad to my knowledge.. the only problem i could forsee with the bubble production is if it accumulates underneath crevices in LR causing oxygen pockets.. this would cause dead spots to form... possibly leading to polution.. it would however not be that big of a deal... by ensuring random flow it would stop this problem from forming..

Although bubble algae is not desirable i have only seen it form in systems where the water parameters are spot on, IMO quite a fussy algae. So if you do have it, its a sign your tank is doing well and they are fairly easy to remove by hand.

Back
Top Bottom