Qballs Pico

Looking very good, so much colour.:thumbup:

I shut the pico down a few days ago. Was still going strong although the GSP and red shrooms were going a little wild. Was a bit of a PITA maintaining the pico and my nano.
Ran for a total of 2 years and a few months.
Suppose the thread can be closed now.

Hi there. Such a pity, your tank was awesome! 2 years is longer than most tanks I had. What lighting did you have over the tank in the end?

Hi there. Such a pity, your tank was awesome! 2 years is longer than most tanks I had. What lighting did you have over the tank in the end?

Yea it was a sad day when I stripped it... I used 2 x pl24 tubes. The same tubes as in the boyu TL550 hood.

I'm busy setting up a pico myself. I would love to try a custom led with UV to make the colours pop. You did mention to me once, that it was quite easy. Where's a good place to source parts?

You can try improved living in port elizabeth. Just google improvedlivingpe and go have a look at their site. Not the best quality leds (I think they epistar) but they dirt cheap. They also sell drivers etc although they are non dimmable. I sed them to built my diy led unit I had over my nano. Everything was happy from zoas to sps. Had decent growth on the sps aswell.

Thanks I'll keep their number. I picked up a solarmax flexi led system from Pendragon yesterday, gna use it over the pico. Do u think it'll work for sps? Its got 12 x 3w leds

Lol, you lucky you beat me to that unit.
36w of led power over a pico, yeah should work pretty well. Thats half the battle won. Then its just keeping it stable and you should have success

Lol, you lucky you beat me to that unit.
36w of led power over a pico, yeah should work pretty well. Thats half the battle won. Then its just keeping it stable and you should have success

@qball What led strip did you use, do you maybe have a pic of it?

Last edited by a moderator:
@qball What led strip did you use, do you maybe have a pic of it?

It was just a small 12v strip of blue leds for a car that I bought from some car accessory place here. Just added it as I wanted a more blue look. Eventually though I found someone who sold double blue pl24 globes. Lawrence from Aquaria-SA sells the dual blue tubes and for a very decent price! So I was running 1 x blue/white combo tube and 1 x dual blue tube.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you post a pic on this tread with the dual and full blue tubes?

Im planning on doing the same...

No I dont think so. But its a big improvement in the corals colours when you change the one to a dual blue. Never had issues with growth either.

Back
Top Bottom