Purple tip Anemone

Reaction score
Hey almal, ek het 2 purple tip Anemone gekoop alby is helder wit, maar die 1 het begin bruin raak amper 'n half bruin laag oral op hom. Hy is glad nie so helder soos die ander 1 nie, is hy besig om dood te gaan? hy eet en als en hy lyk gelukkig?? Help A.s.b.

Barbeton Blues :(

Andre have you read up ANYTHING about keeping anenome's yet? Do you have any idea of the conditions YOU need to provide so they have some chance of living?

List your equipment, tank size, lights, flow, sump, skimmer etc etc etc... ALL water parameters and then lets see if we can help you.

Im not an expert on nennies, but i know enough that you should have those!!!!!

Hi Andre - I am sorry to hear that you are and have been duped into buying 2 anemone's - so quickly. As I have JUST responded to another member - anemone's PREFER to live in tanks which have been mature for WHILE already.....

The anemone who has a slightly brownish coloration, is by FAR FAR the healthier anemone. The white one, is the sick one. Please keep on feeding the anemone's.

What are you feeding the anemone's? And how often?

Anemone's in this state NEEDS to be fed often. Also - what lighting do you have in the tank? Anemone's NEED to have really decent lighting as well..... High intensity, high wattage lighting.

Hey almal, ek het 2 purple tip Anemone gekoop .

Jy moes nie :nono:... As the previous posters said, anemones should only be kept in well mature tanks, AT LEAST 6 months old (one year old would be preferable.

alby is helder wit, maar die 1 het begin bruin raak amper 'n half bruin laag oral op hom.

As jacquesb said, if it is coloring up then it is the more healthy of the two, BUT... since you said that it appears to be covered in a brown layer, I suspect that it is being covered by diatoms or cyano, and that's bad. Only way to find out is to blow on it with a turkey baster, and see if the "brown layer" is blown off. If so, I suggest that you remove the anemone from the water and smell it - if it stinks (even slightly) then it is dead :(

Help A.s.b

Give us more information if you expect any decent help - water quality (give numbers, don't just say it is "OK"), lighting and water movement - also, what bio load is in the tank (fish, corals and other invertebrates)

Hennie

Hey, I have 2 Flourecent Lamps 2G11 2 x 24 w It came with the Boyu TL- 550 Tank I bought. I feed them small pieces of hake every second day... And ja the guy at the pet shop said I can put in the ''anemone" I did not know I should wait! :nono:

No problems Andre - many people get "duped" into buying life stock, LONG before their tanks are ready for it. In the end the life stock seems to die because of the timing/etc....

Try your best - keep us posted. If you see the anemone's starting to shrink, and become even "more white" (if that is possible at all) - then rather take them back to the LFS.... Or try and find another reefkeeper in your close vicinity who can "keep" the anemone's for you, until your tank have been able to mature more.

2 x 24 watt is not a huge amount of light.

My anemone's live under 3 x 150 watt metal halides, and 2 x 54watt T5's, as well as 2 x 24 watt T5's.....

andre, im afraid LFS often get these things very wrong, but the onus is on YOU to do your research before you purchase.

its not likley that you can blame Kruger Nat park for getting mauled by a Lion when you get out to have a wee. Same thing applies. Its not the LFS's fault....although they should NOT have sold it to you.

Those lights sound very inadequate to me :(

but before we go there wont you answer hennie on the water parameters please?
NO2
NO3
Amonia
SG
Temp

in particular, but if you test other things give those numbers as well :)

lets see how we can help, especially as those nennies sound like they need help at the mo :)

oh and have you ever seen either nennie "smoke" after its fed?

You will not be able to keep anemonies alive in that system.

They require large amounts of light to survive. As the specimens you have have been bleached, to sell better (to those who don't know any better), you will struggle even more as they now have no ability to use the very little light you have.

Best advice, I think is to get someone to take them off you. Someone with plenty light and a fair amount of experience. They might get them to survive.

In future do some research into what you're buying and what it needs. For your tank only low-light requiring animals should be kept.

This will allow you a better chance of succeding in the future.

Good luck.

What species? Heteractis crispa or a Condylactis sp.? Both are imported white with purple tips. Try a images.google.com search to identify, Andre.

Condylactis may well survive a new tank.

Hi Andre. I also did the exact same mistake you made a few months ago. Saw this "beautiful" white anemone :)nono:) in the LFS, and just went all in and bought it... Let me tell you, if you have a heteractis crispa, you are going to have a nice couple of months ahead my friend... Good news is, that mine is still alive, and getting better and stronger every day... I have mine for two months now, and only NOW, after really really good care has been taken, and research have been done, I am getting a tiny bit of color in it.

Before you read any further on what I will suggest, you need to decide whether you really want to ride this train... If you are not willing to put ALL your energy in saving this anemone, rather get someone to take it off your hands.

If you are reading this, it means that you have decided, and that these anemones are now the most important aspect of this hobby to you. :thumbup:

I am not an expert (AT ALL) on this, but I've done some real extensive research on these beautiful creatures. I have some good news and some bad news though...

The bad news is that your'e budget will now change. You will HAVE to get more light. In saying this, PLEASE DO NOT go and take down the 2010 stadium lights in Nelspruit and put them over the tank!!! I have had my Anemone under 2x 24W T5's, and the moment it was strong enough it moved into a much darker spot in the tank. The reason it does this is because it consist (all corals actually) of an algae called zooxanthellae algae. One of a few functions this algae serves, is that it's like sunblock to the anemone. Thus, a fully colored up anemone DOES require A LOT of light...

Good news is, your's doesn't yet... Don't get me wrong, you need to start adding light - as in yesterday. I would suggest adding two more 24W - 6700K tubes and wait. See what the anemone does, for about a week. If it doesn't move, introduce two more 24W T5's. Just make sure the anemone has a cover of some sort to move to if it feels like it.

One thing you should understand, that even transporting this specific type of anemone under the utmost of best conditions, they still bleach...

On feeding... I feed my Anemone daily - at night when the lights are down, as it then extends the tentacles much further... Anyway, I would recommend chuck the hake... Go to your LFS, and after you broke your foot off in the salesman's behind, ask him to give you krill or stint (silversides.) These are VERY high in protein, and I think will "feed" the anemone a bit better. It's like Riced Crispies vs Mieliepap - which one feeds you best?

You are more than welcome to contact me with any questions relating this - but just do me one favor: PLEASE DO YOUR BEST TO SAVE THESE CREATURES?!?!?! They are not just any or another sea creature, they actually are propably many many years old, and they can actually live much longer than we can ever imagine. So give me a call please, there are som many things I might be able to help you with.

I will PM you my contact details...

Good luck :thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom