Purigen

Reaction score
I have lost my Purigen pamphlet.

How do you re-new it ?

I remember you needed to use bleach.

Regeneration: Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metalic container in a well ventilated area and away from children. Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoons of ChlorGuard™, Prime™, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water. Rinse well. For freshwater use, soak for 4 hours with a solution containing 1 tablespoon of buffer per cup of water (Discus Buffer™, Neutral Regulator™, or Acid Buffer™). Original color and full activity should now be restored and Purigen™ is ready for reuse. Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul Purigen™ and render regeneration difficult. Do not reuse if odor of chlorine is detectable. In case of doubt, soak beads in small quantity of water and test for residual chlorine with a chlorine test kit.

Purigen

2 tablespoons of ChlorGuard™, Prime™, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water.

What are these ? probably a Seachem product, any equivalents

2 tablespoons of ChlorGuard™, Prime™, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water.

What are these ? probably a Seachem product, any equivalents

I think we are doing the same thing today. You can use Tatra Aqua Safe.

I reckon any cheap freshwater dechlorinator product will do.

Not any, watch out and read the box carefully to see if it contains any of that slime coat stuff. If you use one of those you've just wasted a thing of purigen. (you can still use it once more, but can't regenerate again)

It coats the fish gills and membranes to protect it against abrasions,fungal and bacterial infections.

Should. Seachem product reads "Provides slime coat" in front and on the back label "also promotes the production and regeneration of the natural slime coat".

What is purigen and what do you use it for?

Thanks Warr:wave2:

I wasn't aware of the 'slime coat' issue, so then which dechlorinator is safe to use?

I have Aqua Plus and it doesn't mention anything about slime coat,so I suppose it safe to use ?

DON'T destroy your Purigen!!

I hope this helps you BEFORE it's too late!

Purigen seems to work, even after corruption by incorrect regeneration.
BUT, It would have lost a significant % activity if product chosen incorrectly .

A brief list of available dechlorinators which ARE suited to regenerating Purigen.

Seachem Prime - YES!
Seachem ChlorGuard - YES!
Seachem Safe - YES!
Kent Marine Chlorinex - YES!

:nono:
Tetra Aqua AquaSafe - NO!
Nutrafin/Hagen AquaPlus - NO!
Kent Marine/FW Pro Tech Coat - NO!
Hikari Stress-x - NO!

Almost ALL cheaper, local, dechlorinators - NO!
ESPECIALLY if Tinted/Coloured.
NOT colloids/amines. it's the DYES used which are counterproductive.

AND there's ANOTHER ALARMING issue for FW keepers to deal with too.

The difference between providing/promoting and ADDED SLIME COAT/Colloidal material is the difference between SAFE, EFFECTIVE REGENERATION and IRREVERSIBLE DESTRUCTION OF Purigen function at a chemical structural level.

Purigen effectiveness is rendered near useless, when products containing colloids/amines/slime coats are used as your "dechlorinator".

The thing is, very few available products are EQUIVALENT in overall feature/function to those recommended.

AQuality supplies cost-effective "Pure Dechlor" as part of a Purigen Regeneration KIT.

Any Seachem product-related questions can be directed to them. It doesn't hurt if you ask questions when you buy products, especially of high value , like Purigen.

:teacher:

Back
Top Bottom