Punk's Cube Design

BUT i'm a salty now :)

BUT, at least i finally got some salt water!!!

here's my new QT tank, i CAN'T WAIT to get some corals and fish, just waiting for the cycle, shouldn't take too long as i put in the cured LR i go so far from calvin (just 1 rock outstanding)

05.gif

here's my 2 closed loops (not glued yet), 2 x hailea hx-6550's, what you guy think?
06.gif

CHUCK seems ok with them
07.gif

20cm deep reggies DSB with live sand from phat on top (thanks a mil dude!!!)
when i get time i need to give some to other jo'burg/pta reefers, but i'd like for it to settle a bit first & seed my reggies sand
08.gif

the TS1 i also got from phat (once again thanks dude!!!
clap.gif
)
i have no clue if it's setup correctly / if it's working, i don't have a huge bio-load atm & it's producing some nice coffee
09.gif

i have tons of these fan worm like stuff on all the rocks (are they good to have?):
pls excuse the crappy pics
10.gif

13.gif

and this guy, what is it?
11.gif

FTS:
12.gif

View attachment 69801

Last edited:
Hi Punk

Where did you get the threaded piece with the nut and seal I cant find them here in Pretoria.

hi there, i got all my plumbing supplies from astore in edenvale, really awesome place if you looking for anything to do with plumbing :)

AWESOME Punk! Congrats!
Nice looking lice rock there, mate! BTW - those fan worms are AWESOME additions to the tank! They assist with "filtering" the water! Skimmer's COOKING as well, hey!

Damn Punk - that closed loop with those pumps are looking AWESOME!

thanks man :) i'm still pondering on how i can incorporate the CLS intakes with my LR stand... that way the whole LR stand can suck in water, what you reckon?

stocking the QT so long

hey guys,

hoping to start stocking my QT so long so i at least have some live stock + experience when the cube's done

i just took the parms using tropic marine test kits so here goes:

temperature - 28 C (i put in a fan now so hopefully this will go down a bit)
salinity - 1.026
calcium - 330 mg/l
magnesium - 920 mg/l
ammonia - 0.05 mg/l (is this a show stopper?)
nitrite - 0 mg/l
nitrate - 1 mg/l
ph - 8.4
kh - 9 dKH
phosphate - 0.3 mg/l (hoping to beg some chaeto from someone to put over the DSB)

will it be ok if i get a couple of fish, say 2 damsels or clowns?

also, can i also put in some zoanthids, hermits and snails?

PS. added another 5kg cured MLR today + a M2600 (man it kicks the lifetech pump i had in there's @ss):
1.gif

2.gif

thanks!
ant
:)

Last edited:
busy scraping the glass with minora blades so i can start again :( what a mission, wish i could dip the panes in a magical thing & the silicon will just dissolve!!! :)

does anybody know of an easier way to take silicone off glass??? please!!! :)

You get a silicone remover from Bostic. Works well but in the past there were some concerns about it being toxic to aquariums.

Shout if you need help!

You get a silicone remover from Bostic. Works well but in the past there were some concerns about it being toxic to aquariums.

Shout if you need help!

cool, can i get it from builders? would it be ok if i wash the panes well with water afterwards?

Coming along.. just syphon all the shit out that eggcrate you have at the bottom of the QT as it will trap quite a lot

Nice dude, I like your attention to the water params.

Muz

Yes, got mine from builders. Where exactly are you based in Jhb? I'm sure it would be ok.

Coming along.. just syphon all the shit out that eggcrate you have at the bottom of the QT as it will trap quite a lot

Nice dude, I like your attention to the water params.

Muz

cool thanks muz :)

i lost 2 chromis already, 1 of them went into my M2600 (i replaced the pump i had in there with a SEIO) over night & the other just disappeared over night :(

could it be the crab that's in there? he's R5 coin size, i want to try catch him with the glass trick but won't i catch all my hermits?

i got 2 awesome rocks full of zoo's, you won't believe to cool colours these guys have, some are green with orange inside, green with purple inside & green with blue inside! they're starting to finally open up, i'm so happy about them :)

Yes, got mine from builders. Where exactly are you based in Jhb? I'm sure it would be ok.
i'm actually building the cube at my folk's place in pretoria, my place is too tiny :)

so now i'm driving to pta after work everyday to build it, not fun with this crazy traffic on the N1 hey?!

Hi Punk

had the same problem, found a product called Sili Kill at builders and it worked for me. I e-mail the manufacture and got a positive answer from them.

"Dear Bruce, Thank you for your email. Having applied the Den Braven Sili-Kill and removed the remainder of the "old Silicone" the contact surfaces should be washed with a luke warm solution of mild soapy water and rinsed thoroughly there after.Leave to dry and reapply with New Den Braven Aquaria Silicone. It is cautioned not use the Aquaria for butt joints were laminated glass is used. Please find our TDS attached. Kind regards, Michael Berg" Ive got the spec sheets as well if you want them. I also found a nifty blade/holder with blades at builders as well call Stanley no.28-500 see pic
56047f217f329669.jpg
You must remove as much silicon as possible with the blade before applying Sili-Kill, let dry and scrap off again, I first used acetone the washed with hot soppy water. </IMG>

Back
Top Bottom