possible disease on Angel

How is the Queen doing today btw?

Always in the rocks nibbling underneath (I have lots of place and overhangs, and tummy loooks full, I hope it is from eating sponges as I have not had an angel in the DT for a while and I hope not bloated like disease. Even the Emp looks a bit fat/full. Both still not taking prepared but also very tame, comes upto you at the glass, I am glad, they have not touched an LPS that I have seen. I will make a plan and contact Marco about the angel food, but I want more angels, I love the way the big ones amble around the tank, I am sick of wrasse and tangs swimming with their gills and rushing all over.

I think Lanzo still has a scribbled, :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Guys, please look here at the latest pics, taken this evening, the angel seemed abit more active, but did not take prepared this evening. Also the gill fins have started and it looks "tatty", it must be some parasite. I am thinking of tommorrow putting him in a QT, and dosing the Parasite Clear by Jungle (those fizzing tablets for bathwater), any other suggestions or advice?

excuse the GHA, but I am hitting it now.

21534c6c3f473ebc5.jpg

21534c6c3f7b0f9c8.jpg

21534c6c3f628c54d.jpg

21534c6c3fd04d972.jpg
http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=29015

21534c6c3ff5a3afc.jpg

21534c6c402932fc1.jpg

21534c6c405200220.jpg

21534c6c407b2007d.jpg

Ok, I've been doing a bit of searching and reading and I would try the following...

It would appear that your fish has a bacterial infection.

Get yourself a QT tank, just a small one will be fine, fill it with water from your tank and dose a product from Waterlife called Myxazin, leave the fish in the QT tank for an hour then return it to the main tank, repeat this for 5 to 7 days.

Although I'm thinking two QT tanks will be better here as trying to catch him in the display tank is going to be difficult and will stress him out even more. Perhaps a big QT tank to keep him in and then a smaller QT tank for the dosing of the Myxazin, bear in mind you will need to throw away the dosed water every day and replace with clean tank water.

Unfortunately it seems that most of the threads I have read have ultimately ended up in the fish dying before they could even begin treatment.

Ok, I've been doing a bit of searching and reading and I would try the following...

It would appear that your fish has a bacterial infection.

Get yourself a QT tank, just a small one will be fine, fill it with water from your tank and dose a product from Waterlife called Myxazin, leave the fish in the QT tank for an hour then return it to the main tank, repeat this for 5 to 7 days.

Although I'm thinking two QT tanks will be better here as trying to catch him in the display tank is going to be difficult and will stress him out even more. Perhaps a big QT tank to keep him in and then a smaller QT tank for the dosing of the Myxazin, bear in mind you will need to throw away the dosed water every day and replace with clean tank water.

Unfortunately it seems that most of the threads I have read have ultimately ended up in the fish dying before they could even begin treatment.

thanks Dean, will look into this myxazin.

I have found on reef central that the guys there use a chemical called "Prazipro", and that you can dose in the DT, what I would prefer in case the other fish have it now (no signs yet, but precaution), and it would be less stress on the fish by going to qt.
I can't find this Prazipro here in SA though

The lights should be on later, and then I want to see what it looks like.

I never believed in qt, and thought it was more stress etc. I bought a 3ft yesterday for QT from now on. I think MEks and myself were talking about it the other day also.

My emp though, eating well, and I still have not had to sump any corals.....:whistling:

I wouldn't dose anything to the display tank, either they don't work at all or they wipe your whole tank out. If it is a bacterial infection and you dose some form of anti bacterial medication you might wipe out your whole tanks filtration system.

Yeah there was mention of a few products that guys have tried but none of those are available in SA, Myxazin was the only one that I knew of that you can get in SA. There was a mention of using Formalin, without green malachite, not sure if that is available, apparently it is a treatment for Koi fish that also works very well in marine QT tanks.

I believe guys have tried this parasite clear by jungle also, but in QT tanks,

eish....stress, I don't know what to do, and I am waisting time by stressing.
Think that was my downfall as well. I waited for at least 3 days to see if things would get better and then decided to jump, but by then it was to late:(

Let's hope you can get things sorted out:)

Last edited:
Magman - i also never used quarantine tank when i first started and the i payed the price by introducing a fish with oodinium from a LFS - it wiped all other fish in a matter of days. Since then i QT them in a 3ft with cuprazin(i dont think its safe for dwarf angel or mandarin) or myaxin. I also did freshwater dipping in Methylene blue (it was scary for a first experiance but worth it.) I dont know guys but would a freshwater dip help this fish?

Magman - i also never used quarantine tank when i first started and the i payed the price by introducing a fish with oodinium from a LFS - it wiped all other fish in a matter of days. Since then i QT them in a 3ft with cuprazin(i dont think its safe for dwarf angel or mandarin) or myaxin. I also did freshwater dipping in Methylene blue (it was scary for a first experiance but worth it.) I dont know guys but would a freshwater dip help this fish?

From what I have googled, fw dips kill the parasites, but the eggs remain, so you have to fw dip again.

The lights come on in the next 15 minutes, and then I will see if he is any better or worse. I would like to get other fish out, and so am in the need to get rocks out the DT and do some catching, but it is the extra stress that I am worried about. He swims around fine, and is constantly pecking under the rocks at the sponges, also though if I leave it any longer it could be fatal.

They recommend a 50% tank water and 50% freshwater dip. The temp and pH needs to be matched to the water that the fish in to reduce the impact of shock on the fish. The parasites explode due to the sudden decrease in salinity but you must keep a close eye on the fish and ensure that it doesn't stress to much. I've always been to scared to try this but the author in one of the books that I have recommends that it should be done for all new livestock. The fish only has to stay in the container a matter of minutes(think it was less than five) but keep a close eye on him if you decide to go this route and remove him the moment he stresses out to much.

Last edited:
mag, fizz it bud! i'v seen it work.

have you tried to entice the fish the brineshrimp (alive)
really hope this is a success story

Back
Top Bottom