POLL: On what do you base your advice on the forum

When posting advice (or for that matter any post) what do you base the majority of y

• Your own experience

Votes: 41 89.1%
  • Your own opinion

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Own Research

Votes: 27 58.7%
  • Commonly believed theories amongst forum members

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Your thoughts

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Scientific evidience / scholarly articles

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Hobbysit printed literature

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Advice from the big names in the hobby

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Something you read on the web which made sense somehow, even though you dont grasp how and why...

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Current trends

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Advice / opinions you heard from an LFS

• The need to post anything for the sake of posting

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Gut feeling

• Total voters
Reaction score
Whilst having a conversation with a clever reefer / biologist / chemist / clever person today, we brushed on the topic of forums and this one in particular. Gave me a good idea for a poll.

When posting advice (or for that matter any post) what do you base the majority of your posts on?

- Your own experience,
- Your own opinion,
- Own Research
- Commonly believed theories amongst forum members
- Your thoughts
- Scientific evidience / scholarly articles
- Hobbysit printed literature
- Advice from the big names in the hobby
- Something you read on the web which made sense somehow, even though you dont grasp how and why...
- Current trends
- Advice / opinions you heard from an LFS
- The need to post anything for the sake of posting

A few more I will add to the list as I think about it a bit more.

Of course the intention is to spur a bit of introspective thinking....

Last edited:
Own experience and scientific articles.
The Internet is a very dangerous place, where rumors get perpetuated and the most viewed/linked sites are regarded as fact.

Whilst having a conversation with a clever reefer / biologist / chemist / clever person today, we brushed on the topic of forums and this one in particular. Gave me a good idea for a poll.

When posting advice (or for that matter any post) what do you base the majority of your posts on?

i use a number of aspects to draw advice from, both when i receive it or give it. I tend to use a number of international forums on both sides of the atlantic as i find they keep current and up-to-date to advances in the hobby, but i also use printed material so long as its recent. Anything over two years old i read twice to see its its releveant to 'modern' trends as the hobby moves forward so fast, especially with regards to technology.

so i post drawing on
  1. Your own experience
  2. Own Research (which includes both Scientific evidence and hobbysit literature)
  3. My own thoughts
  4. Convention gleaned from a variety of forums.
1146. the need to post anything for the sake of catching Meks:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Own experience and research.

- Your own experience, Yes
- Your own opinion, (Based on the above)
- Own Research Lots of this.
- Commonly believed theories amongst forum members To wide
- Your thoughts meh... if its not serious
- Scientific evidience / scholarly articles Slightly, when it falls under "Hobbysit printed literature" like Coral Magazine
- Hobbysit printed literature Yep
- Advice from the big names in the hobby I've found than even on this level, contradicting advice is common
- Something you read on the web which made sense somehow, even though you dont grasp how and why... Nope
- Current trends Biocubes *cough*
- Advice / opinions you heard from an LFS Same as big guys
- The need to post anything for the sake of posting most common emote " :lol: "

I know of many reefers whom just don't post on the forum, afraid having their methods criticized.

If you understand the basic science and biology of the hobby, you should be able to tell whether the advice received is bogus. And if you're unsure, RESEARCH the advice and try to confirm it on a scientific level.

The only reason people follow advice blindly is because:
1. They're impatient.
2. Desperate to solve a problem with some more inpatients.

know of many reefers whom just don't post on the forum, afraid having their methods criticized.

Yeah, that is true.

Own experience and my own common sense.

Nice input so far. Tempted to add gut feeling.... @viper357

not to influence but. Hobbyist printed literature. does that include all the RHF, Bob Fenner, Julian sprung, etc etc etc articles?

One Hundred percent with you @Nemos Janitor. @viper357 , please change hobbyist printed literature to hobbyist Literature or add Web based articles by seasoned aquarists.

Advanced aquarist....an absolute must!
A lot of reading on other sites eg reefbuilders, reefkeeping.

Listening to guys who seem to get it right and learn from their mistakes. Own observations and gut feel.

Most of all I listen to the inhabitants who live in my reef....

@viper357 , please change hobbyist printed literature to hobbyist Literature or add Web based articles by seasoned aquarists.
Make up your mind what you want then let me know. Or I'm going to go on strike, because this baas is working me too hard.

Back
Top Bottom