poison fish?

Reaction score
Hi can anyone tell me weather box fish poison the water when they die. Cuz mine died and now all my corals look very unhappy.

otherwise known as the "Neutron Bomb" fish.

I know they release a very dangerous toxin when they are stressed, not sure if it's the same case when they die, but seeing as your corals are unhappy I would assume this is the case, big water changes and gac will need to be done I think.

What boxfish was it? Give us a name and description if you can so we can do some googling and maybe come up with something.

How did it die? If it stressed before it died, then yes, toxins in your system. Do a big water change and run good quality carbon, like Viper said.

A water change means if you remove salt water you need to replace with salt water with the same salinity and temp as what your tank is running with. I just hope you have ready made salt water at hand as it's not a good idea to add salt to RO water and use immediately.

I don't have ready mixed water I used my last bit the last time I toped up. The probs gona be to get the same salinity at a different temp. Any ideas? How long do you guys think my corals will endure?

You never answered me, how did it die?

Are you topping up your evaporation with salt water or fresh water?

You ideally need an extra pump and heater when making your salt mix. Get the salinity right then let it mix overnight.

Sorry but I have no idea how long the corals will last. When did the fish die?

Hi can anyone tell me weather box fish poison the water when they die. Cuz mine died and now all my corals look very unhappy.
Hang on a minute, if your box fish died and/or released any toxins then all of your fish should be dead, do they all look ok?

I have been toping up with fresh water.
Not to sure how it died but only had him for bout three days. He seemd fine all along

Also add some fresh carbon and set your skimmer a little wetter

I'd just like to thank everyone for the info and advise. I did a water change and added freash carbo. My corals are begining to show signs of recovery. Schrooms enlarging themselfs but an entire colony of zoas are still not open.

FINatic, what is your water volume on the tank?

Great advice from everyone.

Maybe do water changes every 5 days for then next 2-3 weeks.
Keep an eye on your water parameters as well!

Hope your tank is ok!

Back
Top Bottom