Plumbling Question

No the nano has no sump, that why I want to connect to the main tank's sump.

I don't need huge flow as this tank is a species tank and not made for fish or coral.

My next choice is a 1000 litre pump, won't that be overkill for a 62g Nano ?

i said the MT sump, didnt i? not sure now:) ya i know you dont need large flow, just thought you werent going to get any. i think go 1000, then if it is a bit much the ball valve will sort you out, i think you will be waisting time with a 500, unless you get some thiner tubing and just use that instead, for example i cut my return pipe in half and removed the bends in the bottom and replaced it with 20mm tubing so that the tubes bent slightly instead of massive turns, bumped my flow back up to about 2000lph. so maybe you could go 500lph, then just get 8mm piping, just make sure your pipe isnt going to pinch somewhere cause then you really will lose flow. maybe a mixture? but for simplicity sake i say go 1000lph

:) I read MT as mantis Tank :whistling:

I was thinking for going with rigid PVC as I want to mount on the wall between the two tanks.

The flexible pipe is great, I use it on my Main tank, no corners, no pinches.

If I go the rigid route I would have 4 corners to get from sump to Nano.

I think I rather go 1000L, cause it will only be 4 x turnover in the nano tank.

Thanks for the info, wish i could start tomorrow, but the PVC suppliers are closed :p

No, I don't think there is a way of getting the exact same flow both ways, and if one gets clogged with something, you are either going to have an empty sump or an empty nano
Not to mention if you have a power failure, you would end up with wet carpets. The Nano is it constructed from glass or perspex, if it is constructed from perspex you would be able to drill the back.

Not to mention if you have a power failure, you would end up with wet carpets. The Nano is it constructed from glass or perspex, if it is constructed from perspex you would be able to drill the back.

Is there an easy way to tell ?

The front has curved corners, but I am sure that can be done with glass.

The back seems to have the acoustic tap as the front so would expect it is the same as the front.

Ok, I finally seen what I need to do.

I am going drill the the nano.

I am going install a 50mm overflow pipe

the return is going to be terminated a substrate spray bar , to gives the tank more flow at this level.

I have also decided to run a 2000L/h pump, once again to give more flow and cater for the loss of flow from the corners of the piping.

Last question, how can I silence the return in my main sump ?

i am so tired of plumbing, its not even funny..... have you got the pump already ? what did you go with ?

Beleive it or not a Sera pump.

I tried one for my scrubber, and am so impressed, small and quiet, half the size of the Astro I have running my reactors.

Going be replacing that soon, as I am seriously running out of spce in the return chamber. 3 pumps at present and now another one

Is it possible to have the overflow outlet that goes to the display's sump to be placed below the water level to reduce noise ?

Is it possible to have the overflow outlet that goes to the display's sump to be placed below the water level to reduce noise ?

I haven't seen it myself but i was told it can cause problems with back flow - something to do with the way water travels only down the sides of the pipe and an air flow back up in the centre, to be honest my eyes kind of glazed over half way through that:p
To reduce noise, use the fliter socks at the bottom of the down pipe.

Just check with Mekaal as I know his goes down almost 3/4 of the way below the water level.

Thanks for the help guys, added another 62g to my system.

The glass drilling was a bitch, but than that everything else ran smoothly

Thats great Warr, drilling is a much better option IMO than those add-on overflows, too much chance for failure.:p

i said the MT sump, didnt i? not sure now:) ya i know you dont need large flow, just thought you werent going to get any. i think go 1000, then if it is a bit much the ball valve will sort you out, i think you will be waisting time with a 500, unless you get some thiner tubing and just use that instead, for example i cut my return pipe in half and removed the bends in the bottom and replaced it with 20mm tubing so that the tubes bent slightly instead of massive turns, bumped my flow back up to about 2000lph. so maybe you could go 500lph, then just get 8mm piping, just make sure your pipe isnt going to pinch somewhere cause then you really will lose flow. maybe a mixture? but for simplicity sake i say go 1000lph

Scuba, are you suggesting that you get more flow with thinner pipe?

Back
Top Bottom